We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Panama City to Almirante

Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Panama City to Almirante

Anyone know the cost of the bus from PC to Almirante? How do I get info on the schedule and do I have to reserve seats ahead of time?

Thanks

1. Re: Bus from Panama City to Almirante

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2009, 17:11
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Panama City to Almirante

I did end up doing the bus when I was in PC. I took the bus from Albrook Mall (main terminal, I believe) and I paid $24 USD for the bus ticket. As the poster from PC mentioned, you then catch the water taxi from Almirante to Bocas Town, $5 sounds about right. It is also true that it was about an 8 hr ride, plus 1-2 hours waiting for the water taxi and actual ride. That said, I took the 11PM bus out of PC, so I was able to just sleep most of the ride to Almirante, so it's still 8 hours of transporting yourself, but you may be able to not lose a day in traveling, so to speak. You'll have to decide for yourself if that's an acceptable option for you or if you'd rather pay the extra to fly.

Hint if you do take the bus: bring something warm to wear on the bus. That sounds crazy for PC, but I was warned (and didn't listen) that the A/C is kept pretty much full blast, to the point you'll be uncomfortable if you don't have something warmer to wear. Perhaps do what us crazy Minnesotans do - bring layers of clothes you can put on or take off for the bus ride.

I did end up getting a ticket ahead of time, but I only remember doing it a few days ahead of time. Unfortunately, I can't tell you of an online resource where you could get more information.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Panama City to Almirante

wouldbeworldtraveler:

I am taking a trip there this December and will be making the same trek. I am all about seeing the country and will most likely take the bus as well. Probably taking the plane back.

Questions:

Did you see a lot on the ride up?

Did the bus making any stops?

Was your stuff stored securely?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

Cheers!

Very much looking forward to this trip!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Panama City to Almirante

Hi Tmchf,

Congrats on your trip! I think it will be a great one. Here are answers as best I can answer them to your questions:

"Did you see a lot on the ride up?"

Frankly, no...but this is likely because I traveled overnight. Not only was it obviously dark out and I was trying to sleep, but most people pulled curtains

over the windows to block street lights so they could sleep. I would guess that if you travel during the day you'd have a view somewhat similar to any highway driving...but that's just a guess. Perhaps some of the Panama experts on this forum will be able to offer a better idea to this question.

"Did the bus making any stops?"

I don't remember any stops other than perhaps one national police inspection stop, which consisted of pulling out ID's/passports...nothing significant.

"Was your stuff stored securely?"

The bus is very similar to a Greyhound bus, so bags were stored underneath the coach section securely. That's not to say you shouldn't take the same precautions as you might on a Greyhound (i.e. such as keep valuables with you as opposed to under the bus, like I did with my laptop), but I don't suspect you'll have troubles.

Tip on the plane...find the airline offices ahead of time in Bocas Town to reserve your seat. The seats do fill up ahead of time.

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Panama City to Almirante

Hey " Chunk" I'm a local in Bocas and this is a little more factual information than was what stated above. There is only one bus that runs direct from PC and it leaves Allbrook Bus Terminal at 8:00 pm and arrives in Alimirante at around 6:am. Most people take the bus from PC to David and then switch buses for the one that goes from David to Alimirante, those run every hour and 1/2 hour respectively. The direct is $23 and other is $20 all together. I don't think reserv's are available so get there early. The water taxti from Alimirante to Bocas is $4 and runs every 1/2 hour from 6am to 8 pm, there are 3 different companies, all the same price. The bus from PC direct stops twice for pee and food breaks and the other ones stop once each. The last leg of the trip thru the Mtns is quite scenic, although the road is terrible, due to being washed out in the floods but is under repair.

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Panama City to Almirante

Can you tell me about the road from Almirante to Puerto Viejo or Cahuita , Costa Rica? We hope to come from San Jose via Limon to Cahuita and then on to David.. We heard there had been some flooding and the roads were wuite rough.

Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Panama City to Almirante

Susan, I see you are new to T/A, but you need to post a new forum topic instead of adding on to a post on another topic over six months old. Post your own new thread and I am sure you will get answers.

8. Re: Bus from Panama City to Almirante

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2010, 07:17