We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

Seattle
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

I want to travel to Bocas del Toro in January. I am kind of scared by all of the talk about no see-ums in Bocas. Is it really that bad there regarding "bugs"?

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

If they love you, they will come. Use an oil based insect repellent (like skin so soft) to catch them in the oil before they can bite you. Certain types of people are bitten by insects - I am noe of them.

I also tried (and it seems to be working) 1,000 milligrams of ODORLESS garlic gel tabs three times a day and NOW they don't come near me! Just use repellent and perhaps try the garlic, but don't stay home just because of some bugs!

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

As LN says - slather up with oil-based repellent - the sprays like OFF don't work on the chitras (no-see-ums). Just keep reapplying it, especially around the ankles.

Also bring some Calamine or other bite/itch cream for the few bites you may get. Unfortunately the best cream I have found for this is only available in Costa Rica - for anyone going there first, pick up cream or lotion called Alergical.

The bugs aren't a reason to not visit, just come prepared.

Cheers,

Andrew

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

If you do what the above people mentioned you will be fine.

I love Bocas because mosquitoes were not a problem, (mosquitoes LOVE me). But we did get chewed up by no see-ums. They are mainly a problem at dusk. With some prevention you will be fine. We were so hung up on mosquitoes, we were not prepared for no see-ums. The no see-um bites are not as bad as mosquitoe bits. After a week the bites were gone for me. Don't miss out on Bocas because of this.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

I don't know what I could have done differently as I got eaten alive, although my husband didn't. But I'm still glad we went to Bocas.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

AND for me, the no see um bites lasted weeks and weeks and get infected, yuck! Try the garlic next time Toronto! Wards off vampires too, LOL!

LN

seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

I just got back form Bocas and the sand fly's were pretty bad. I didnt have to many problems. I used avon with piccadirn all day. I bought the travel wipes as well. just make sure to re-apply and you should be ok! The locals told me that pure coconut oils works great too! You can buy it at the super gourmet store in Bocas town

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,110 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

I get chewed badly by those buggers. I use a lotion called Cactus Juice Sun, Skin, and Outdoor Protectant http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/ as an effective mosquito and no-see-um repellent. It also has a sunscreen. It is a safe product and smells like citrus.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

I am definitely checking out that Cactus juice site.

I put on sun screen and then I put on Skin so soft and I am just so sticky. thanks so much DE !!!

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

I highly recomend Johnsons "baby locion antimosquito" It's not deet active and works very good for all of my guests. The garlic idea is smart and it tastes good too...lol.

10. Re: sand flies/bugs in Bocas del Toro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 05:17