We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodations in bocas del toro

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
accommodations in bocas del toro

need recommendation for a cabana in bocas for one person, b&b perhaps. not looking for luxury, near beach, grocery. thanks.

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodations in bocas del toro

you may have to choose between being close to the grocery store or close to the beach - there is a beach near Bocas town, called las cabanas, but i dont think anyone would recommend staying near it. It is not very clean and right by the cantinas with extremely loud music starting saturday night and more on holidays.

I just recommended 3 places at Bluff Beach: Tesoro Escondido; Playa Bluff Lodge and Bluff Beach retreat, that last one is a bit more expensive than the other two. Tesoro Escondido has cabinas, rustic but still pretty nice for $65. It is right at the beach. There is a private home renting room on the road to Bluff, they are on the beach before Paunch, but I do not have their contact. They had a sign saying from $10/person, but that may apply to groups.

There are some cabinas on one of the beach at Bastimentos, name escapes me, but then again you are far from groceries.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodations in bocas del toro

Thanks, I checked out the 3 you listed. Tesoro Escondido has rates of $35/n with share kitchen, that might work out, as I would only be making morning coffee and warm up breads, etc. Have you ever stayed there?

You say the cabinas at Bocastown are not clean/noisy. The noise would not bother me, but not wanting a "flea bag".

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodations in bocas del toro

I meant the beach by the town itself is not overly clean and it is noisy. There are no cabanas for rent on the beach. There are a few condos across the beach, but they are not cheap. The closest to a cabina is right at the entrance of the beach section, when you get out of the town. The people who ran a restaurant on the premise were going to rehab the cabinas there, but did not get to an agreement with the owner and moved on to another place. So I am not sure of the status of that place. I will look up the name next time I go by there. While the restaurant ran it was Jardin del Pecado (ran by the owner of Pecado del Sabor - who are now back in town) As far as Tesoro Escondido, I have gone there many times for beers after surf and I have had a few meals there too (all delicious). Also over the years I have befriended several surfers who were staying there and happily so. I think two of the best values in Bocas are Tesoro Escondido and Las Olas Hotel in town. Having said that, there are many inexpensive places in Bastimentos too, but I do not know about them as readily as I know what is on Isla Colon.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodations in bocas del toro

Thanks, bocas,,

I will be checking back to see if you list the name of place you mention. If you don't mind and think of it, could you do a PM to me? I shall also send TE an email to see about availability there once I get message from you and firm up dates. Gracias, muy amable.

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodations in bocas del toro

Hey Volare

The name of the place is Mar y Iguana. When you leave town, by the only road there is to leave town, and just before you get to the city beach area called Las Cabanas, it is on the left handside. Note: the doors were closed and there was a rent sign on it....They may not have found someone to rent and renovate the place yet. So it is back to the other places I mentioned or some places in Bastimentos.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accommodations in bocas del toro

Thanks, could you send some for Bastimentos? Also, as I am looking to rent a place (or purchase) to turn into a B&B would that be suitable? I assume there was a phone number listed on door, or someway to contact owners, if you can get that info and something works out for me, your b&b could be there with my compliments.

ahv

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: accommodations in bocas del toro

I live on Isla Colon so I do not have first hand experience of places in Bastimentos as I do here on the Island. You should check to see what is listed in Trip Advisor - Usually the reviews (as long as there are more than 1 or 2) are pretty spot on.

As far as things for sale, there is much on the market so my suggestion is to come here without being in a hurry and see as much as possible before to committing to any one place. Also, as much as possible, deal with independent real estate people, people not selling their own things, as they tend to be a bit more objective when comparing properties. You should try to stay in a few different places, see what you like best and then find out if there is anything for sale there.

Why dont you contact me off forum and get me your contact info and I can have the owner of Mar y Iguana contact you. We are stretching the subject of this post!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: accommodations in bocas del toro

Not cloase to town but close to starfish beach is Cabanas Estephanie in Boca Del Drago, they are the lodgings for ITEC the environmental school . There is a bus that goes a few times a day from town (5 dollars round trip) and the last one leaves Drago around 5. I dont have a contact number for them but if you call Yasinori restaurant (you can find there web page on bocas.com) they will have the number.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: accommodations in bocas del toro

thanks geojack, I'll check that out as well.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: accommodations in bocas del toro

geojack, did you mean Yarisnori? That is the restaurant I found on web.

Get answers to your questions about Bocas del Toro Province