We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soropta beach?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Soropta beach?

I am going to volunteer at a sea turtle project and am debating between two places, Soropta Beach in Panama or Pacuare beach in Costa Rica. Has anyone been to Soropta? How easy is it to get to it from Puerto Viejo? And are visa/passport/etc requirements the same for Costa Rica and Panama? Gracias =)

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Soropta beach?

Since I live in Panama, and I think Panama can use all the help it can get AND our turtle programs are a ways away from matching the efforts in Costa Rica, I would say, PLEASE come to Panama, the turtles need you desperately. Passport/visa requirements are the same, as in no visa needed in either country. Passport needed in both.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soropta beach?

Getting to PV is pretty easy, but easy in Central America isn't the same thing as easy in the States. It takes about 3 to 4 hours. You take a ferry, then bus or cab to the border. Cross the border by foot, can take up to an hour depending on the lines. Then another bus or taxi to PV.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soropta beach?

Thanks for your input so far! I've already bought my plane ticket (great deal, couldn't pass it up) so that's why I was wondering about PV as I will be coming from San Jose.

I think I am leaning more towards the Panama program after emailing the coordinator. I asked which needed more volunteers and he told me that Panama needs many more. Does anyone have any comments about Soropta beach or the area it's in?

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Soropta beach?

When I used to take the water taxi from Bocas to changuinola, up the canal, we went by a Soroptaa Beach, which is in the middle of nowhere, only accessible by boat. I would think it is the same one you are talking about. The water taxi route is currently suspended, after the November 2008 floods caused much sediment and debris to fill the channel, and it has not been dredged still. But you are maybe 10 minutes by boat from the town of Changuinola, and maybe 30 minutes by boat to Isla Colon, where Bocas town is located. I suspect any facility, if any, will be very spartan. It is a beautiful area, though, lots of wildlife as it neighbors a big wetland reserve named San San Pon Sak.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Soropta beach?

If you have time, doing a trip to PV for a few days, then going to Bocas is a great trip. Or you can easily fly from San Jose to Bocas with Nature Air. They only fly 3 days a week, I think they are Sun, Wed, Fri. but double check me. Also the airport Nature Air uses is different then the airport you will be arriving in, about 30 minutes away by taxi.

6. Re: Soropta beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Bocas del Toro Province