We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bocas for female travellers

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bocas for female travellers

I will be in Bocas in late April for 5 days with two other female travelers. We are looking for suggestions on places to stay and things to do. Is it better to stay in one central location and take water taxis around or stay on different islands? We are very active and interested in surf, snorkeling, and hiking but definitely want relaxation on beautiful beaches. We're also big foodies and interested in trying local foods...in nice places or hole in the walls. We also like to go for runs so staying in a safe location is important. We don't necessarilly have a budget. We're not looking for hostels and prefer clean quieter places but close to nightlife. Thanks ahead for your help!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bocas for female travellers

For 5 days I would stay in one place. When I am with my girlfriends we like to stay in Bocas Town for nightlife, and my favorite hotel is Cocomo, really a BnB. They have 4 rooms and each one sleeps 3 people. It is really easy to get water taxis and explore the other islands. Tons of activities, great food and nightlife. If you want to spend more money the Tropical Suites are nice and would be very comfortable, but I still prefer staying in the quieter part of Bocas Town.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bocas for female travellers

You will have lots of fun, I hope you don't mind getting hit on by local men. There are some cheap local places on the main strip, Don Chichos and El Chitre. There are some very yummy places right outside of town in an area known as Las Cabanas on the Saigon Bay side. Just ask a local which one is their favorite. On Fridays they serve a very Carribean dish know as Rondon. It is a fish stew with plantains and bread fruit. There is another newer place called Something (I forget) and Dixon where they pick you up at your hotel and take you on a boat to a shack in Saigon Bay where they serve cheap smoked fish. Also the the restaurant on the other side of the island in Boca Del Drago, called Yasinori, serves really good sea food. For very nice French made breakfasts try Star Fish Coffee. There are a few bars where the party is. Aqua Lounge, Mondu Taitu, and Barco Hundido are the popular ones. You probably want to take a boat over to Bastimentos for a couple of hours and check it out. Not much of a night life though there though.

Edited: 03 April 2010, 03:35
Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bocas for female travellers

Hey JVV, The kewlest thing Bocas has going for it is the boat tours to the different islands for snorkeling, surfing, cave exploring,and nature viewing. The best tour is to The Zapatillo Islands and Coral Cay, where the snorkeling is awesome and the beaches on "The Zaps" are world class. My fav. restaurant in all of Bocas is Alphonso's near Coral Cay, but actually on Isla Bastimentos. The seafood there is phenomonal and surrounding water is like swimming in an Aquarium. Red Frog Beach is beautiful, good surfing, and the only sandy beach with a bar rite on the beach, actually 2 of them now. The Ultimo Refugio, Pecado , Guari Guari,and The Kasbah are some of the best restaurants in town, Lili's Cafe for breakfast and Om for Indian and vegitarian. The bus trip out to Drago and Starfish Beach is very nice, but if you want the exercise, rent a bike...great ride. A good run from Cocomo to Paunch and Bluff beach along the Colon coastline, thru Saigon is in order. Have a great Bocas adventure!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bocas for female travellers

Thanks for the replies! We are now doing PC for three nights, then to Gamboa for a night and doing the Barro Colorado day trip. We head to Bocas area now for 4 days...we were recommended La Loma on Bastimientos and personally feel that may be too long of a stay there. Would you recommend doing 1 or 2 nights at La Loma and then heading to Bocas town or is that too much moving around? We're still looking into accomodations in Bocas. Thanks!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bocas for female travellers

Depends on you and how much you like to move around. I like to stay in one place then explore from that place. I feel that when you have to check in and check out of hotels often you loose lots of vacation time.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bocas for female travellers

I agree that you dont want to move around too much BUT if you are staying at La Loma the whole time you will see no nightlife at all. It is hard to get a water taxi to bring you back to La Loma later at night and it is a little sketchy as well. If you did stay in Bocas then you could try the restaurants and check out the bars.

What type of place would you like? If you are not too restricted by budget you might as well stay at an OK place over the water like Cocomo http://www.cocomoonthesea.com/ or even somewhere in Saigon. This place has a great deal right now and is a very local neighborhood http://www.bocas-las-olas.com/

Here are some apartments over the water owned by the guys that own Al Natural bocas.com/hoteles/…m-residencias-bocas.htm

7. Re: Bocas for female travellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 05:17