We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you had to choose??

San Diego
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
If you had to choose??

What would be the top three things you would advise we do in Bocas while we are there (tours,beaches,sightseeing)

We finally booked a place at Bluffs Beach Retreat fro next Aug! Can't wait!!!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you had to choose??

I really enjoy Red Frog Beach, and the walk to it. Pickled Parrot is a very unique place for a drink and to relax. I also enjoy taking a booze cruise either during the day or at sunset. It is a beautiful way to see Bocas Town and to make new friends.

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you had to choose??

The highlite of your trip will be a boat tour to the Zapatilla Islands,Coral Cay and Red Frog Beach. "The Zaps" are the most beautiful, isolated beach Islands in the Archipeligo, they will take you there 1st, then on the way back, stop at Coral Cay for snorkeling and Alphonzos for lunch, the best seafood in the world caught fresh in their surrounding waters, you can pick live lobsters out of their pen for lunch. The snorkeling around the Cay is like swimming in a big aquarium. From there they will take you to Red Frog Beach for more world class swimming and beaching and have cocktails rite on the sand and watch the surfers do their thing. Have a great Bocas Adventure!

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: If you had to choose??

You cant go wrong with the advice from Bastimentos John - the boat tour is the way to see the archipelago. While you are at the Bluff end though be sure to schedule a horse ride tour to la piscina - Ron will set you up. If horses are not your thing, then walk there, beautiful walk - maybe 1 hour away to la piscina. If you have kids, maybe you can ask if Ron can set you up to see Playa Bluff Lodge's garden, full of little colored frogs and a resident sloth - it is not a public garden, but they might let you check it out. Speaking of garden, check out Bocas Botanical garden, on the way out of town, before where the road splits. Your host can tell you which days are scheduled for the tours. Have dinner at nearby Tesoro Escondido one night for sure - great little place not too far from the Retreat.

Edited: 19 May 2010, 17:32
San Diego
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you had to choose??

Thank you all so much!!! These are all great ideas and I am going to add them to my plans!!!! Any more ideas would be great! We have a large group and want a lot of options!

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you had to choose??

For larger groups, consider renting the Houseboat from JamPan for the day, or longer. Also Marcel at bocassailing offers an all day sailing adventure on a nice Catamaran, including fishing, snorkleing and lunch. There are four Scuba Schools in town for the more adventurous. Every thursday friday and saturday afternoon, the Smithsonian Research Centre has an open house and tour of their facility.Other boat tours include The Bat Caves, Dolphin Bay,Swan Key,Drago and Starfish Beach, Wizards and Playa Larga beaches, and Deep Sea Fishing out to the "Outer Bank". Have a great Bocas Adventure!

San Diego
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you had to choose??

Houseboat sounds like a blast!!! And I know we all want to go snorkeling A LOT! Does starfish beach really have a ton of starfish???? And I think I will deff check into Marcel for the sailing!!!

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you had to choose??

Yes, Starfish Beach has more big starfish than anywhere I've ever seen, and in shallow water rite on the sand. They actually did a MTV reality show on the beach there a couple of years ago. I'm from Laguna Beach, Cali and can proudly inform you the water temp will be around 80-82 F...much warmer than Blacks Beach or La Jolla Cove :) You can actually take a shuttle bus throught the jungle from Bocas to Starfish/Drago, about 15 K, and see monkeys along the way!

San Diego
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you had to choose??

Oh good! I won't even go in the water here in San Diego! It's sooooo cold!!! I can't wait to visit Bocas! I am hoping to see some great wildlife and sealife!!!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you had to choose??

My 3 favorite things from Bocas:

1. Zapatilla -Amazing!

2. Catamaran tour with Marcel- Amazing!

3. On isla Bastimentos- hike up the "hill" to the "up in the hill" chocolate place, enjoy some cold juice and a cool brownie, then hike down to Wizard beach and spend the rest of the day swimming. -Amazing!

San Diego
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you had to choose??

Thank you everyone for your great posts! I am having a blast planning my trip!