We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help again from Costa Rica

Which Bocas del Toro Province hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
help again from Costa Rica

ok me again.... I'm coming in on Dec,13th to Costa Rica( i stay at a hotel for the night, then in the morning leaving to cross the border in Panama). The companie who crosses the border Caribe Shuttle takes us either from Puerto Viejo, Playa chiquita, Manzanillo or cahuita. My question is how long does it take me to get to these places from the San Jose airport(i found a hotel near that airport)?? And more important how do i get there ??? Taxi(must cost alot??) Bus??? HOW???? Any help will be greatly appreciated. And when i do get to where Caribe shuttle gets us, how long does it take to cross the border to Panama?? I need to grab the last water taxi at 6Pm......Is this a stupid idea?? Gracias

Albuquerque, New...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: help again from Costa Rica

San Jose to Puerto Viejo is about 5-6 hours by bus. From there is should be about 2 hours total to the water taxi of almirante. But the shuttle is most likely on a schedule - make sure you get there for their last trip. If you leave from San jose early you should have plenty of time. There is also a company that has more direct buses. Tico Bus I think they are called. Check in the archive for Costa rica- Bocas travel, it has been addressed several times, with links and phone numbers. These sites have helpful info:

www.worldheadquarters.com/cr/transportation/

www.elparaisoschool.com/getthere_panama.htm

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help again from Costa Rica

I agree with greentravelers you may want to look into other options then Caribeshuttle. I have used Caribeshuttle and think it is a great option, but I have only done it when I am already in PV.

What times does Caribe Shuttle offer? Since you are already in San Jose I would consider Tica Bus.

As far as times, getting to PV varies depending on how you go. Private Driver is the fastest, then shuttle then bus. Once in PV if you use Caribe Shuttle it is about 45 min to Panama border. Then it depends how long the lines are for crossing. I would say about an hour to cross, could be more or less.

Edited: 01 September 2010, 14:53
Panama
Destination Expert
for Bocas del Toro Province
Level Contributor
278 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help again from Costa Rica

Yes Tica bus is a good option and just to let you know a private taxi from San Jose to Sixaola cost you around $ 180.00

Montreal
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: help again from Costa Rica

What is sixaola?? Is that where we cross?? Never heard that. And also what is PV too?? So what you are saying is i catch a bus in San Jose the next morning(is there a big terminal or??) For tica bus, and do they go as far as the border for me to cross??? I really find this part of planning my trip very hard and tricky. Any help will be great!! Thanks

Montreal
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: help again from Costa Rica

ok PV is Puerto Viejo.....sorry

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help again from Costa Rica

Sorry about the abreviations.

Yes PV is Puerto Viejo. You are right, Sixaola is the border crossing.

Tica Bus leaves from San Jose and travels all the way thru Central America (CA) . The bus has a/c, tv and bathroom. They make the border crossing rather easy because they walk you thru it. It is also a rather cheap option. The website is not the most helpful IMO. ticabus.com/ing_rutas_horarios_costa_rica.htm

I would call them and see what schedule they have and if they go thru Almirante. From the website it looks like they go thru David, which is on the Pacific side of Panama. If you can find a Tica Bus that takes you on Tuesday the 14th of Dec. to Almirante in time for you to get a ferry to Bocas this would probably be the best all around option.

What time do you arrive in San Jose? I would try to get to PV that night with either a private driver or shuttle. If you can't do that look at a shuttle to the border, Sixaola and you can do the crossing yourself. Once you cross you can catch a taxi to Almirante and get the ferry to Bocas.

Have you talked to Caribe Shuttle about picking you up in San Jose?

Hopefully others will give you other options. I have always done the trip either directly from PV, like I already said, or flying from San Jose. I know you can't fly because of the dates. Don't get frustrated. This is part of the fun, planning and thinking about your trip. Once you get to Bocas it will all be worth it.

Edited: 02 September 2010, 15:29
Montreal
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: help again from Costa Rica

ok well i have more info to give about this San Jose Bocas saga...I just bookes with Geck trail adventure. They pick you up at your hotel in the morning 7am (private driver in a minivan that can stop when you want) cross the border with you get you on the water taxi to isla colon in Bocas. All this for 51$.... I mean really i absolutely think this is the best way to go!!! So happy i found them and will be posting back if i have difficulties. But not having to get a taxi to the bus station and then trying to cross and all and another taxi here and there.....I really think it will be much less stressful this way.....Don't you think?

Montreal
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: help again from Costa Rica

sorry .....that is booked with Gecko trail...

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help again from Costa Rica

I am a big fan of private drivers and getting help crossing borders. I have not worked with this company, but sounds like a good option. Please let us know how it goes.

10. Re: help again from Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2011, 07:25