We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

almirante bus to panama city at new year?

Bradford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
almirante bus to panama city at new year?

hello! help needed please.

I'm trying to find out if buses run from almirante to panama city on new years eve or new years day?

we're flying into bocas but need to get the bus for the return.

also can I book the ticket in bocas for the return journey to PC?

any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: almirante bus to panama city at new year?

Buses run every day, including holidays. The main bus terminal is in Panama City near the Albrook airport and mall. It would be worth your while to go check. I am not sure if you can buy a seat in advance. My experience is that they seat on a first come first serve basis. Certainly the smaller buses do. Perhaps the direct (which is the only sane way to do this by the way) might be different.

Bradford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: almirante bus to panama city at new year?

thanks very much, been looking everywhere for info and couldnt find any. We can get planning our schedule now.

i think we best take a trip to the bus station in panama on arrival to see if we can book or not.

:)

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: almirante bus to panama city at new year?

Expect major delays and crowded buses around holidays, however. Go earlier than you want to leave.

Yesterday, during Independence Day holiday here, our cleaning lady was very very late as she had to get a bus and they were either all full, or crowds waiting to get on and then she had to wait for another bus, and then another, and another.

Bradford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: almirante bus to panama city at new year?

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated!

Panama
Destination Expert
for Bocas del Toro Province
Level Contributor
294 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: almirante bus to panama city at new year?

Yes you can buy a bus ticket from Almirante to Panama already in Bocas.The office is almost in opposite from the IPAT tourist information.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: almirante bus to panama city at new year?

Just this past August, I took the bus from Almirante to David. It was so crowded with so many people's butts in my face I gave up my seat sooner than bite the next one that swayed into me on those hairpin switchbacks, and the conductor just kept opening the door and letting more people crowd on. I have travelled in India and not had such a sardine experience. It was a nightmare I swore I would never repeat.

However, the coach from David to Panama City was much more civilized and comfortable -- a real coach. Maybe there's another way you can get to David from Almirante, even supposing the bus does run on the holiday.

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: almirante bus to panama city at new year?

You took the "regular" bus. there is a direct that leaves from Changuinola, and it is a very nice bus, very comfortable seat. It leaves once/day I believe. You can hop on it in Almirante where it makes a stop. It has very few schedules stop between Almirante and David. It does not stop at every corner like the little bus does.

Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: almirante bus to panama city at new year?

You cannot book the ticket in advance of your arrival into Bocas, but you should go purchase the ticket at the office in Bocas that sells tickets as soon as you arrive. There are two express buses each day. One in the morning and one at night. You definitely want to get on the express bus. The regular buses leave all the time, but they are hit or miss. If you can't get on an express bus then you will need to get a regular bus from Almirante to David and then get an Express bus from David to Panama. There are many more express buses from David to Panama than there are directly from Almirante. You need to allocate at least twelve hours for your bus trip from Almirante to Panama. If there is traffic or an accident the ten hour trip can increase to twelve before you know it.

9. Re: almirante bus to panama city at new year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Bocas del Toro Province