We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to bocas, Help!!

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
First time to bocas, Help!!

Hello,

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Bocas probably March 6-20. I think we will be coming by bus from Panama city. We are in our early 30's, love to surf and everything beach oriented. We want to have fun but I am concerned about a college party vibe. We have looked at Saigoncitos and it looks very cool, also we are used to heat but it seems no AC is the standard, isn't it a bit hot? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to bocas, Help!!

I am not familiar with Saigoncitos, but Bocas is one of the places that not having A/C is ok, especially if you have ceiling fans. Most places you can catch a breeze, but not always. Still I always get a place with A/C because of bugs. During dusk I always go inside to get away from any mosquitoes and chitras.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to bocas, Help!!

Being in Bocas right now i would say about 90% of the time AC is nice. Also the bugs can get bad at times. I would not say that it is as much of a College Vibe as I thought it was going to be. If you are staying at a Hostel it would be a college vibe because most are college age. We are with my father in-law and he has found many bars that he likes because it it is a little older crowd.

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to bocas, Help!!

Thanks very much! we however are postponing our trip to Bocas til after summer. We are going to the Dominican for a few weeks, CHEAP Flight!! This info is good to know for when we do visit Bocas thanks,

Amanda

4. Re: First time to bocas, Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 03:36
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to bocas, Help!!

I would be hesitate to go by any posts of anyone with only THREE posts on here, all advertising the same place. Unfortunately, many people only post on here with an agenda rather than truly trying to be of assistance to travelers. I believe the poster earlier this week that posted many links for this place to stay had his own name as a screen name originally, and his advertising posts were removed. Be ware, I would definitely not use this recommendation.

Panama
Destination Expert
for Bocas del Toro Province
Level Contributor
290 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to bocas, Help!!

Now Saigoncito are nice house in the heart of saigon nice extra here you have a bicylce included.

But just be aware it is in a local area and your local neighbours love to play music.

Do not forget as well the 07.03.11 is the last day of carnival, Hotels specially the economic once are all booked during this time.

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to bocas, Help!!

Take a look over in Isla Bastimentos, much more authentic Carrabbean Vibe

Sturbridge...
Level Contributor
38 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to bocas, Help!!

I would just like to mention that people who advertise a specific place, even if it is their own place, does not necessarily mean that they are not giving good honest advice. If they run a good establishment and are proud of it, then they would certainly recommend it. Anyway, I did not see the post you are referring to as it has been removed. Just in general. Why not take advice from locals?

We went to Bocas for the first time in January. Weather was great but we did enjoy the AC in our room. Stayed at the Hotel Angela. I also was concerned that Bocas Town would have too much of a college party vibe but I did not find this this be true. Perhaps if you stayed in a hostel right on the main street this would be an issue. But where we stayed was quiet. And made it easy to get anywhere. Plus there are amazing restaurants in Bocas Town. I really enjoyed it. (we are also in our 30's and sound similar)

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to bocas, Help!!

ACMC75, I am not saying don't take recs from locals. Most of the DE's are locals in any given area. AND DE's are chosen by T/A after they have a proven record of posting so many posts without spam or advertising. So definitely take advice from these locals and others who are not promoting their businesses.

What I was saying was if someone is only on here to promote himself and his business it is against T/A guidelines. How do you think these forums (for helping people not promoting businesses) would look if everyone was allowed to advertise their businesses? There are sites with T/A for owners to pay for advertising and owners are urged to do that....to pay for advertising and then they can promote with their listings as much as they want..

The forums are for helping travelers not for promoting one's own business.

In T/A guiidelines here are some of their statements:

"We would never walk into your home and start posting ads for our web site, so don’t do that to our community. Please refrain from posting commercial links and commercial or personal contact information in the forums unless it is directly requested. Do not proactively volunteer it.

Travelers do not visit the forums to be solicited or “sold to.” Please do not recommend your business on the forums, even if your business or property would seem to be an ideal fit for a traveler’s needs. Other forum members may recommend businesses or properties, but as an owner or representative you may not recommend your own business or property."

If you would like to read the entire guidelines here is the link:

tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…

Thanks for sharing, and come back soon to visit our beautiful Panama.

Edited: 27 February 2011, 12:33
10. Re: First time to bocas, Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Bocas del Toro Province