We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

We have booked our flight to PC and Bocas. Now we are deciding where to stay. We have decided NOT to stay in the town due to noise and two teenager children.

We are strongly considering Villa Paraiso but worried about how small it is and whether our kids will get bored. We were also thinking Playa Tortuga but read some REALLY bad reviews on moldy smell and run down.

Deciding whether to stay for 7 days on Bocas or 4 night and then 3 on another island (Casa Cayuco or Eclyspe de mar).

Help please! We want activities, not sitting on the beach. SCUBA, snorkel, ATV, surfing, etc.

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

Villa paraiso is very nice. Away from town but yet close enough to town to do daily activities. Playa tortuga is not run down. It has a nice pool and is next door to villa paraiso. Many places have a bit of a musky smell if they have been closed (doors closed like a hotel room) it disappear after you open the windows. Part of being in the tropics. Don't expect stellar service at playa tortuga. Either of these place is a good choice with 2 teenagers.

Panama
Destination Expert
for Bocas del Toro Province
Level Contributor
288 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

maybe your kids will enjoy Playa tortuga more as big pool , and kayaks. Both places have the beach in front. maybe you should consider renting Bicycles for the time you are Bocas, or at least for the boys.cost around $ 10 a day.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
198 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

Villa Paraiso looks so cool. We are hoping to get there with our 4 kids in 2014. That is where we will stay. We also looked at Red Frog Villas, which look beautiful but remote. But something seems a bit "sketchy" about them. Just my opinion... Have Fun!!!! We can't wait!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

I agree about Red Frog Villas. I read a couple things about them and decided I wouldn't support them. Plus, I heard there were lots of sand fleas on their beach. Anyway, even if it isn't true, I would rather support a family, rather than a large development.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

I will be writing a review once we are back, so check back at the end of October. So far the owner has been amazing!

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
793 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

We just came back from Panama and spent 6 nights at Casa Cayuco (we added a night while we were there) and 3 nights at Koko just outside of Bocas Town. I am working on my 5 star reviews now. It was nice to have the mix of both experiences. I would split your time 60/70 % in a remote lodge like Cayuco and the rest in town, which you will find you may need to do for at least one night due to flight schedules. We have 2 young teens if that helps.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

Thanks traveling NY for your reply. We would have loved to stay at Casa Cayuco but we could only have stayed for 2 nights as they are closing for a month and a half during low season. Didn't think it was worth it. Now we have a villa on the main island, 5 minutes from town, so I think that will suit us fine.

What did your teens like best about the trip? Did you surf, snorkel, go to starfish beach? Our kids are 13 (boy) and 15 (girl), so sounds like a similar age to yours.

Any advise on restaurants that worked for your family would be great too. Our kids are not fussy and prefer adult food to kids food.

Thanks!

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
793 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

In Bocas they liked snorkeling the mangroves, I think only one tour from town does this from a sail boat. We went with Casa Cayuco. Surfing was a big hit. We went with Escuela del Mar on Carenero and had a great lunch after at BiBis. We did not do the zipline because it was closed for renovations, so check thier web site before going.

As for food, because we stayed at CC we did not eat out much. We loved the chicken guy in town. Far end of town towards the ferry doc. Just a few outside tables and a guy with roisserie chicken. No clue what the name is, but you will only find one that fits this description. I can't recall the other restaraunts, but there are many to choose from in town that are listed on TA. Haveing kids who eat adult food will make it easy, I have just the opposite issue with one of mine.

Edited: 07 September 2012, 13:48
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

Thanks so much! The chicken place sounds great! We went to a place just like that in Roatan and it was one of our favourite meals. We had a 1/4 chicken and a 1/2 chicken, with all the fixings, including 4 beers and tip, it was $20. So great!

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
793 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So excited, flights are booked! Now where do we stay...

our travel favorite in Peru as well. same thing here, but you have to buy the beer at the grocery store next door. They will give you a glass for it if you ask.

Get answers to your questions about Bocas del Toro Province