We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two things: Accessible activities and diving question

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Two things: Accessible activities and diving question

One of our friends who was planning to come with us broke their ankle, and isn't sure if they are coming, since it will be only 2 1/2 weeks after the break & subsequent surgery.

1) if they decide to come, what accessible activities can they enjoy? We're staying in a house on the east side of Carenero Island. Specifically things which allow crutches, wheelchairs and sitting. Lounging on a beach for too long is bound to get old.

2) if we dive without them, what shops are more likely to be fun to dive with and will visit the more remote locations? Anyone have experience with Dutch Pirate and Bocas Water Sports? What about Zapatillos Dive Club or Scuba 6?

1. Re: Two things: Accessible activities and diving question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 00:48
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two things: Accessible activities and diving question

I haven't dove with Dutch Pirate. La Buga is much more focused on surfing than diving. I used to dive with Startfleet, but I don't recommend them. Scuba 6 is located on Bastimentos. They have been getting very good reviews from beginning divers and intro to scuba divers. Bocas Water Sports is very good ... excellent rates ... very good equipment (and no rental charges for gear) ... the best instructor/DMs in Panama -- very customer focused -- they will not rush you through your dive. Now is the time of year that they will take you out to the wall -- the barrier reef -- where you're more likely to see the bigger fish and where there are swim throughs and the viz is better. For dive site variety and knowledge of the area, I would definitely go with BWS. BWS is also the closest to Carenero.

Edited: 30 September 2012, 17:43
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two things: Accessible activities and diving question

GB knows his diving so he has excellent info.

Your friend should be fine with crutches, just will move slower. You don't need to walk very much, you can take cabs and water taxis. Many of the water taxis involve crawling in and out anyway :) I have to say much of my time in Bocas involves hammocks, bar stools and floating in the water. I do love kayaking as well. We have a very dear friend who is older who relies heavily on his cane. He meets in Bocas often and he has a great time, just moves a little slower then the rest of us.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two things: Accessible activities and diving question

Your friend needs to check with his/her ortho. If he has a hard cast, the ortho

may not let him fly. A friend of mine just flew to Germany with a broken arm.

I told her to check with ortho prior. She was glad she did.....ortho actually

changed out her hard cast to an adjustable brace like cast for the trip telling her to get to an ortho asap when she is in Germany to have a hard cast put on again.

She really needed the hard cast for her type of break.

Especially because your friend has an ankle injury, there will be much swelling in flight -unless perhaps he flies first class where he could put his foot up. In a hard cast, this

could be very bad in flight on his ankle if it swells too much.

Better to check.

Edited: 30 September 2012, 18:59
Houston
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two things: Accessible activities and diving question

I personally would not recommend someone who has recently had surgery to repair a broken ankle try to get around between islands via boats and docks. Most find it difficult at times with no disabilities. If you were staying on Isla Colon, getting around would be slow but possible. I find the islands as a whole to be for the active and able. It is more disability friendly than it use to be (more ramps, etc) but it would not be easy and a there would be good chance of re-injury. Just my opinion.

6. Re: Two things: Accessible activities and diving question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 07:18