We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island?

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
42 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island?

The more I look into it the more I want to visit Bocas del Toro for a week. My dilemma is which island. We would prefer a single place to stay as a base. My concern is that Isla Colon might be too crowded/busy and that Isla Solarte might be too isolated. We don’t like crowds; we do like good food, we don’t dive, we do snorkel, we do hike. We can be mellow but have a tendency towards restlessness. So, we want perfection ☺. Suggestions?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island?

What time of year are you going? Bocas town isn't. "Crowded" all year

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island?

Perfection any place in Panama may be a problem. Customer Service here is practically non-existent....tourism is still getting it together, but perfect? No

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
42 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island?

mrolfes: Not that I plan things in advance….We are looking to go for a week that falls anywhere in the time frame of the last week of December 2013 and the first week of January 2014.

I think “touristy” may be the better word for what we would like to avoid.

LN: When I wrote “perfection” it was to make fun of myself and the way I phrased my query.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island?

Oh that is a really busy time. I don't think you will want to be near Bocas Town. You do need to book early for that time.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island?

You can easily stay on the edge of town and be away from the tourist hordes. Look at hotels in Saigon. The island is beautiful for Christmas, lots of fireworks though.

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
42 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island?

mrolfes & geojack: Thank you.

mrolfes: Do you think it would be best to try for Bocas during a different time of the year or would one of the other islands be, in terms of crowds, reasonable?

geojack: Until you mentioned it I had not heard of Saigon in Bocas del Toro province; I will need to do some research.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 02:40
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island?

It's just a little area near town on isla colon, there are a few nice places to stay there, Bahia del sol and KoKo resort. It's a poor but authentic Bocas neighborhood.

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
42 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Island?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Island?

I like going in the summer. Cheaper and less crowded. The time of year you are talking about going is one of the most popular times to go. Maybe hard to find lodging and transportation with out planning far in advance. Prices are better during the slow season and you can "wing" it more. If you aren't a planner then you may not want to go during high season.

10. Re: Which Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bocas del Toro Province