We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women alone on a beach

Which Bocas del Toro Province hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Panama
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Women alone on a beach

Hello! My boyfriend and I are traveling to Bocas in July. He's kind of the avid adventurer and diver, and I'm more of a beach bum. We were thinking that perhaps we'd get a boat to drop me off at a nice beach and he could go diving for a few hours while I sat around like a sloth on the beach.

My concern is... safety. Is a woman alone on a beach safe in Bocas? Where would you recommend I go, and where would you recommend I stay away from (if you do). Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Women alone on a beach

I think you are okay alone sitting for a few hours, it's the travelling between I'd be concerned about. Find a good taxi driver to shuttle you about and leave your valuables at home. Playa Estrella is nice if the obnoxious man who plays Bob Marley all day has shut down his massive speakers after local protests and so is Boca del Drago. The beaches at Bocas are safe but can be deserted so leave your valuables at in the safe.

Panama is gorgeous and don't miss your beaches, but I'd say--as a woman who travelled solo--exercise much more caution than you would in other Central American countries.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Women alone on a beach

During the day you are fine. Just don't carry anything of value.

3. Re: Women alone on a beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 07:19