We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much is Bocas

Which Bocas del Toro Province hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder City, Nevada
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
How Much is Bocas

We are looking at going to Bocas for a week or so. How much do things cost? How much is a beer, water taxi, dinner for two with drinks etc.... I plan on renting a house. I'm just curious to know how much it costs to live. Thanks to all replies in advance.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Much is Bocas

Hi. First, which Island are you going to be on. That will really determine how much you spend on water taxis. We were on Canerero and the taxis to bocas town were one dollar per person, but if you are further it could be $5 per person. If you are going to have a house then you can buy breakfast stuff for cheap (eggs, bread, coffee). Beer is also about .60-.75 cents a bottle at the grocery and about $2.00 at restaurants. Mixed drinks, sangria were more like four dollars. Main entrees were anywhere from 10-15$ on average. I think that how much you spend will really depend on where your base camp is...more remote = more money. If you do "tour number one" (you'll understand when you get there) on a water taxi to go to zapatillo and snorkeling then make sure that you bring your lunch and tell your taxi that you do not want to eat at Coral Cay. It was soooooooo expensive that our entire group opted to not eat and return and hour early. Our water taxi driver even apologized about the prices. Enjoy!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Much is Bocas

Actually we had beer (Panama) at a bar for $1 per bottle in downtown Bocas. The food we did not try as we just stopped for a wait on water taxi & driver.

If you don't mind, how much are you paying for rent on a house & how big, location? Thanks

Boulder City, Nevada
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Much is Bocas

Thanks for the info. I haven't booked a house yet. I normally just find something on VRBO or on this site under Vacation rentals. Prices of houses are all listed on the rental info page. I would like to be a little bit away from the noise of town.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Much is Bocas

It really depends on WHEN you go. Right now it is high season and will be utill after Carnival annd to a lesser extent after Semana Santas (easter week). Beers are anywhere from .75 cent happy hours to 2.00 at high end bars and clubs. The average going price though is 1.50 and 1.00 at local watering holes.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
697 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Much is Bocas

The Gourmet Grocer has food you are accustomed to finding at home : rotisserie chicken, cold cuts, nice breads, fresh salads...but higher prices...I believe it is owned by a woman from Texas. The other grocery stores. Have everything you need and prices are good....booze is cheap.

There are some great restaurants worth trying : Guari, Guari, Mexican for Gringos, Refugios, Beso de Dragon ( cheap and very good), Bibi's on the beach, Firefly....read the reviews here....all good

Edited: 19 January 2014, 01:58
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
697 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Much is Bocas

Guess its just called Gringos....really good..great margarita

Edited: 19 January 2014, 02:05
Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Much is Bocas

"If you do "tour number one" (you'll understand when you get there) on a water taxi to go to zapatillo and snorkeling then make sure that you bring your lunch and tell your taxi that you do not want to eat at Coral Cay. It was soooooooo expensive that our entire group opted to not eat and return and hour early. Our water taxi driver even apologized about the prices."

How much is a lunch at this place? How much are the beers?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Much is Bocas

If I remember correctly, the entrees were between $20-30. That is very expensive for the area. I do not remember how much the beer cost. The other people with us brought a cooler with beer to the beach...they really enjoyed their few hours on the beach!

chitre
Level Contributor
145 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Much is Bocas

Prices in Bocas are higher than average,however cheaper than Costa RIca..

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Much is Bocas

How true that is! And much cleaner, better water sports as well as better restaurants/accommodations and safer, at least it was when I visited there, unlike all my trips to CR. It has become the most expensive of any country in that area...and I have been to all.