We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water and raw sewage

Which Bocas del Toro Province hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
il
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Water and raw sewage

I very much want to visit this area. I have been very spoiled lately by staying where you can snorkel right off of beach at the property. I have read about problems with raw sewage. Is this mostly by Bocas Town or other places too. Wanted to stay on Carenero and swim/snorkel off of the dock area. Thanks for any help in this area and any other suggestions.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water and raw sewage

I wouldn't recommend Carenero for a couple of reasons. One is the sewage. The other is chitras -- sand fleas. Of all the islands in the Bocas del Toro archipeligo, Carenero is the worst for chitras. If you want to stay and snorkel at the same place, check out Playa Bluff -- Bluff Beach.

il
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water and raw sewage

Is the snorkeling good at Bluff Beach? We would do several boat trips for the week but like to do light snorkels around where we stay. Open to any other suggestions too. Hotel, B and B, rental home near Bluff beach??

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water and raw sewage

You cant really snorkel at Bluff beach itself because of huge waves but the area right before Bluff is good if the seas are not too high. A great place to stay is Tesero Escondido. Also if you can afford it, Al Natural on Bastimentos is fab.

4. Re: Water and raw sewage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 05:17