We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to Melia Panama safety

12 posts
Save Topic
traveling to Melia Panama safety

My parents are traveling to the Melia Panama in April for 10 days, my concern is that they are an older couple and my father likes to travel the cities, he will be renting a car and enjoysdriving thru the local cities, my concern is, is it safe for him to be driving around Panama?

Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling to Melia Panama safety

If your father is comfortable driving in large cities, he should be fine.

Panama City is a bit crazy, lots of traffic, stop signs are suggestions,

Outside PC the driving is pretty easy, the roads are good and traffic is not bad. I would suggest he does not drive at night also probably best not to drive into Colon. Makes sure he buys the extra insurance on the rental car, they go over the car very closely when you return it.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling to Melia Panama safety

First I would question your stay at the Melia for 10 days. You'll be far away from anythging, and the closest city is Colon, which is not a place to go drive around. I think you'll be bored in the Melia.

Driving in Panama is not easy. I would recommend staying in a hotel in Panama city and just moving around in taxis. Taxis are cheap and plentyful. That way you'll go anywhere in the city, no worries about dirving or parking.

Regarding safety, like anywhere else, stay out of the dangerous zones. Ask the hotel, the cabbies. Colon is a dangerous city. Panama city is pretty safe, as is most of the countryside.

3. Re: traveling to Melia Panama safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 18:18