We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise from Colon

ontario canada
14 posts
Save Topic
cruise from Colon

Where to stay and what to do for the ten or so days before departing Colon on our cruise of the Southern Caribbean that ends in Fort Lauderdale ? We are a middle age couple who enjoys beaches and sightseeing and finding local restaurants in out of the way locations. We will be landing at Panama City Airport on the evening of April 1st or daytime on the 2nd. Our cruise leaves Colon on April 11th. We want to feel and be safe at all times !Is it safe to rent a car or scooters ? If not what i the best way to get around ? We are a retired couple traveling on somewhat of a budget. ie. looking for good value for our Cdn. dollar

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise from Colon

The first couple of day will be very slow because it is the end of All Saints Week (semana santas) with Easter on Sunday and the whole country is on vacation. Somebody else can tell you probably but you can take a day trip to the mountains or a nice village to take part in the party. 10 days is a good amount of time if you want to go to the islands of Bocas Del Toro for a few days or Boquete in the mountains or the San Blas islands. Maybe even a slow trip up the Pacific coast and back.

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise from Colon

Hey Waterloo, I'm a displaced Canuck from Ontario myself, having spent my adult years in So California and now live and run a small resort in Bocas del Toro for the past seven years. If its a beachy budget adventure you're looking for, I believe "Bocas" is your best bet. We are in a huge Bahia on the northern shores of the Panama Carabbean, and consist of an archipeligo of seven major islands and countless number of small islands and Cays with warm azure seas, beautiful sandy beaches, tropical mangrove shores...some call it paradise. Since we are still on the fringe of the tourist grid, the prices for rooms, restaurants and beach activities are surprizingly inexpensive. Where else can you get a room over the water for 30 bucks and a beer at same hotel is 65 cents...American. There are four to six flights daily from the regional airport in Panama City to Bocas, and while here, taxi's and boat taxi's are cheap and plentiful. Have a great trip!

Edited: 25 February 2010, 17:50
Central Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise from Colon

Hello Waterloodon. We are an UPPER-middle-aged couple taking the same cruise. We arrive in Panama April 3 and plan to visit the canal, Bocas del Toro and the mountains in Boquete. Probably too much for one week. Drop a line whydel@gmail.com

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise from Colon

Since you are located in a part of Panama that "we've read has mosquitos that can cause malaria" do you assume travelers who will be in Panama only a week (and won't go anywhere near Darien) would be getting yellow fever shots and taking prophylatic meds for malaria? Or is that overkill?

This whole tropical diseases thing is making me nervous about our 1 week in Panama, mainly the canal zone, but possibly driving up to Boquete. I don't want to do the immunizations and meds if it is not necessary.

Thanks for any info.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise from Colon

It would be overkill for me. Be sure to wear repellent at all times.....don't let your guide down even if you haven't seen mossies. Be protected, and be safe.

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cruise from Colon

Thanks. We'll definitely use the Deet and won't be roaming the rainforests at night!

7. Re: cruise from Colon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 07:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now