We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to take a taxi in Colon, Panama

Which Colon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to take a taxi in Colon, Panama

I am planning to travel by bus, and I would like to know if the terminal bus and taxis at Colon are safe to take? Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to take a taxi in Colon, Panama

Colón is not a particularly safe city. I'm not familiar with the bus or the bus terminal. I do think that you'll be reasonably safe while you're in a taxi -- as long as you keep the windows rolled up. The question is, where are you going to be when you get out of the taxi? Make sure the taxi takes you directly to where you want to go, and definitely do not walk around on your own.

Colon, Panama
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to take a taxi in Colon, Panama

Good Evening Juanca72:

Yes Juanca72, it is safe to take an Express Bus from Panama to Colon and also safe to take taxi at the bus terminal in Colon to take you to your destination.

Regards, Roberto

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to take a taxi in Colon, Panama

As GB says - a lot depends on where you want to go after you arrive and also what time of day it is.

I drop my staff off at the bus terminal between 9:30 and 10pm some nights when our driver is off and it's not the nicest area in Panama to be wandering about at that time of day.

I go all over Colon during the day picking up things for the hotel/restaurant and don't feel uncomfortable but then I know where I am going, I am in my own vehicle and I speak Spanish.

The buses from Panama City to Colon are fine - do take the express as the other buses stop at every little town in between and don't take the toll highway.

Another option if the timing is right is to take the train over (7:15am Monday to Friday except holidays) - great trip and there's always taxis waiting when you get off the train.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Manchester,CT.
Level Contributor
102 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to take a taxi in Colon, Panama

Yes-yes..I heard the TRAIN ride was a lovely way to get there. I plan to do this when we go this July.

I also want to travel the journey to Bocas.

I already know it is a smaller plane ride and then a boat, and it is RAINY season, but water is not a problem, or the "getting there" part. Some of the best places are worth the effort.

They have lovely bed and breakfasts there, and I already found the prrfect place when we go for a few days~

Thanks for the TRAIN advice~

5. Re: Is it safe to take a taxi in Colon, Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 04:16