We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 gold coin panama wedding tradition

Orangeville, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
13 gold coin panama wedding tradition

I'm looking for more information on the Panamanian wedding tradition that has the groom give the bride 13 gold coins that have been blessed by a priest.

I'm getting married at the Decameron in November and this is the only unique local wedding custom that I have been able to find.

Has anyone done this or seen this at a wedding in Panama?

Do the coins have to be gold?!

Should the coins be from a specific country?

Is there possibly some sort of 'wedding kit' that you can buy down there with commemorative-type coins? We'll only have really one full day between arrival and the wedding, so not much time to go shopping...

Any help would be appreciated!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13 gold coin panama wedding tradition

It´s a very common tradition in Spain and Latinamerica. It has jewish roots. We used silver coins in my wedding, no specific country, just put 13 coins, the material is not all that important because is just a symbol, put them in a little pouch. These coins are called "Arras".

…pullman.com/fjstevens/…ArrasWebInfo.htm

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 gold coin panama wedding tradition

you could try the foil covered chocolate that looks like gold coins.

Orangeville, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 13 gold coin panama wedding tradition

Thanks! The link was a big help.

Orangeville, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 13 gold coin panama wedding tradition

Thought about the chocolate coins! It's a little too hot in Panama - they'd probably melt before the wedding. Besides, with Air Transat's meals, I'd probably dig into them halfway through the flight...

5. Re: 13 gold coin panama wedding tradition

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 04:19