We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local airport

bridgehampton ny
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
local airport

Is there a small regional airport anywhere near the Decameron? We would like to visit with friends in Costa Rica while we're so closeby. Or is there a bus that would take us from the Decameron headed in th direction of Costa Rica (maybe to Santiago)?

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local airport

The closest airport with flights to Costa Rica is Albrook - about 2 hours away by Panama City. They have flights to San Jose every Mon/Wed/Fri.

Buses do go past the Decameron (on the main highway) but to catch one all the way to Costa Rica would be tough as they usually leave from Albrook as well and are an express bus - you might be able to book online with TicaBus and catch one in Santiago - it would take you about 14 hours from Santiago to get to San Jose.

Cheers,

Andrew

bridgehampton ny
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: local airport

thanks, but these would not realistically work as we would only have 2 full days for a side trip to CR. My other thought was to rent a car and meet our friends near the CR border. Looking online, it would be less than 200 miles from the Decameron, Do you know if it is a difficult drive? Can you recommend a city near the border to meet and stay one night? Our friends have a car; they would be coming from Nosara.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local airport

The heck with the friends, stop driving all over the place, seriously the drive to Frontera isn't too bad from Decameron, about 4 - 5 hors, Frontera is about 45 minutes beyond David, Problem is I would not want to leave a rental car in Frontera, they have a nasty habit of disappearing, no real safe place tp park.

To get there, head out of Decameron make a left, when you see the sign saying welcome to CR you are there.

They would have to be really good friends to basically spend two days of your vacation driving up there to see them, skip the drive and send them an email, also you can't take a rental car into CR from Panama

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local airport

Tell them to meet you at Decameron, hahaha, David would work, penty of inexpensive hotels. about 4 hour drive for you.

Edited: 03 March 2010, 23:46
Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: local airport

I agree with Chuck - you would spend most of the two days you have driving - also for them to come down from Nosara it's almost the length of Costa Rica and the roads there are way worse than in Panama. It would take them way longer to drive to the border than you guys.

It might look like Nosara and Panana City are close but in reality to drive between the two would take two long days.

Also, there's reallly nowhere to stay close to the border.

Cheers,

Andrew

bridgehampton ny
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: local airport

Thanks everyone. You've confirmed my concerns. Our friends will be back in NY in the summer and we'll catch up with them then. Their child is in school in CR and mine has training in Panama for just a short period of time, and we cant extend the trip. I appreciate all of your comments & suggestions.

7. Re: local airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 06:17