We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day excursion from Smile- Playa Blanca

stoneycreek
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
Day excursion from Smile- Playa Blanca

Hi- going to Playa Blanca in january and were wondering what types of day trips they offer. Also, has anyone been to Lake Gatun for the fishing? Thanks

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
1. Re: Day excursion from Smile- Playa Blanca

Many options will be available from your resort. Be advised, that you have picked a resort over 2 hours from any site to visit, so plan on all-day trips.

El Valle is a day trip that is only about a 45 min. drive from Playa Blanca - it is a small mountain town and I am sure will be a popular trip from the resort.

Plan on spending alot of time on the beach; and at pools, because that is really what you will find at Playa Blanca.

stoneycreek
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Day excursion from Smile- Playa Blanca

Thank you for your posting. We were expecting a long drive but that is often the price you pay for picking a more quiet location which is what we look for in a vacation. Are car rentals available near the hotel and approx how much would one day cost? we are travelling with friends and hoping to do a fishing day at Lake Gatun, any suggestions- car rental vs taxi?

Edited: 31 October 2012, 16:05
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
3. Re: Day excursion from Smile- Playa Blanca

Playa Blanca is NOT quiet, lol. It is a very popular resort for Latin travelers. Car rentals are available at the resort property. With all taxes, mandatory insurances for a small car perhaps $78. I am just guessing now.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: Day excursion from Smile- Playa Blanca

Your trip to Lake Gatun if you are fishing with Dennis Melton is only an hour away and it seems like a pretty easy drive per Dennis's instructions. I have a reservation for a compact car from Thrifty's at the airport for 8 days. It's $135 including tax but not insurance. I plan on getting 3rd party only which should about double the cost if not a little more. My MasterCard will reimburse me if there is any damage to the rental car that I have to pay out of pocket. I have never been to Panama but rented in Mexico many times. The few times that I have paid for full coverage there is always some exclusions like windshield, partial theft so there is no such thing as full coverage. Please give us a trip report when you get back and have a great time.

stoneycreek
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Day excursion from Smile- Playa Blanca

Hi

Is that 135$ a day for the car or for 8 days?

thanks

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
106 reviews
6. Re: Day excursion from Smile- Playa Blanca

That is for 8 days but when you include 3rd party insurance, it should be around $300. I figure driving to the resort from the airport, to the Lake plus El Valle and a jungle tour, I am way ahead of the costs of a taxi. We are staying in a Condo and don't cook so then there are all those trips to restaurants.

stoneycreek
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Day excursion from Smile- Playa Blanca

Thanks for your help, have a great trip.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
8. Re: Day excursion from Smile- Playa Blanca

Craig, plan on at least 1-1/2 to 2 hours to Lake Gatun from Playa Blanca, especially cause you are not sure where you are going. Playa Blanca is in the middle of nowhere, really.

9. Re: Day excursion from Smile- Playa Blanca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2013, 10:17