We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing planes/connecting flights

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Topic
changing planes/connecting flights

Hi when transferring planes, do you have to wait for your luggage to come off the flight, or is it automatically forwarded to connecting flight.

Never done it before

Thanks Pete

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: changing planes/connecting flights

If you are not changing airlines or going through customs, they will transfer your luggage.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: changing planes/connecting flights

For KC, I am wondering about what you said. If a person is flying from Canada to New Zealand through Los Angeles, and you have to get off the plane while is is refueled and go through customs and sit in a room, I think that they may also haul all the bags off as well and inspect them.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: changing planes/connecting flights

Hmmm. I only know about my own travels and have never had a layover in a country that was not my final destination. I know if you go through customs you have to re-check your bags. I'm suprised you have to go through customs if that is not your final destination.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: changing planes/connecting flights

yeah, i would think that my case in the uk would have a ticket that it is being transferred to another airplane, and i would just check in on another aircraft in Cuba. (hopefully)

It is a virgin atlantic flight to cuba, then transfer to a local connecting flight. I have complained to Virgin Holidays now, so i should get full details of all iterinary etc,

Again thanks to all the Canadians for all your help, your a really great bunch.

Pete

Nottingham

england

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: changing planes/connecting flights

My experience has been flying to New Zealand from Toronto. The airline flying that route is now gone bankrupt, but the route involved deplaning in Hawaii and getting off the plane so it could be refueled and cleaned. We had to go to a secluded isolated room but to get to it, we had to go through immigration, where were scrutinised and our passports checked. I have been told now that also the bags have to be taken off and inspected as well.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: changing planes/connecting flights

My two experiences involve Toronto-London-Lisbon. One year I flew British Airways all the way. They transfered my luggage from Heathrow to Gatwick for me..I never saw it, and I had to go through customs and immigration and get on a bus going to Gatwick. I next saw my bags in Lisbon. The second trip involved British Airways to Heathrow, but British Midland from Heathrow. My bags went onto the carousel, and I had to check in all over again with the bags. I would assume that may be the case when you switch from Virgin to most likely COPA in Cuba. Hope you got a good deal here, as it may have been easier to fly Air Transat to Toronto on a Sunday, stay overnight and fly on Air Transat on Monday to Panama. That way you could have met us great Canadians.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: changing planes/connecting flights

Thank you very much, you should be a travel expert. We paid £2300 for 3 weeks, not sure exactly how much that is in canadian dollers, but for the distance etc from london, cuba, panama i feel we got a good deal.

How much would one pay in Canada?

Kind regards

peter

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: changing planes/connecting flights

the £2300 is total for two adults

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: changing planes/connecting flights

Depends on whether Oceanside or Gardenview is selected, but basically the price would be the same based on the fact that your airfare is higher because we can get there in 5 hours, and I imagine you flight time would be more in the line of 7 or 8 hours. I comverted at worked it out and to the best of my ability, I would say we would pay about 1,900 GBP for the same holiday.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: changing planes/connecting flights

from buffalo ny via new york city and 3 weeks on contadora, we just paid 2255 GBP for two people

Get answers to your questions about Farallon