We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the food like? And Drinks? At Decameron...

Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What's the food like? And Drinks? At Decameron...

Can anyone please give us an overview of what the food is like? Which a la carte's do you recommend? We love seafood and international food.

Also, does anyone know what beer is on tap?

And did you have to know translations of drinks into Spanish, or would the bartenders know what a Bahama Mama is, etc?

Level Contributor
103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the food like? And Drinks? At Decameron...

Hi there, we found food to be good to very good at the buffets at the RD and very good at all the a la carte that we have been to.

There are 2 buffets (well actually 3) that are open for breakfast and lunch - Atlantis, Pacifico & Panamian. The Atlatis and Pacifico are also open for dinner while the third bufett becomes the Panamian Restaurant (a la carte) for dinner. Each buffet has a different theme each night for example: Mexican, Chinese etc. You can check where you make the reservations what the nightly themes are.

We really enjoyed the a-la carte restaurants - one was Sushi Samba - here you are served everything from the menu from soup, sushi rolls, teriyaki chicken etc. We found it excellent.

Another restaurant is Thai - we had a pad thai there & it was also very good. We also ate at the Grill Restaurant on the beach everything there is made on the grill and you can order very good steaks like sirloin, new york steak etc.

We did not eat at the other restaurants but others spoke highly of the fusion restaurant & if you like fish/seafood the Catch of the Day Restaurant. There for additional $ you can also have lobster/shrimp. There is also another Seafood restaurant in addition to Catch of the Day.

Drinks: I did not enjoy the drinks as much as let's say in the Caribbean (Cuba for example) were most drinks were made from fresh ingredients. At RD almost all drinks are made from ready-made mixes from pina coladas, to daiquris to margaritas - they just add ice, booze & blend if necessary. Yes they will know most drinks like banana mama - each bar has a drink menu posted as well. One drink I did like is called Tropical Friends - it is similar to banana mama minus the cream and they use a whole fresh banana to make it.

Beer on tap is Balboa and Atlas - Balboa is stronger.

Off the resort there are other beers you can buy - cheap - about $1 in restaurants and as cheap as 35 cents in a supermarket.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the food like? And Drinks? At Decameron...

Asking about the food at the RD usually opens up a 'hornet's nest' so as to speak. Some think it's excellent and others think that it's poor. Seems to depend on whether you have been to an all inclusive elsewhere with better food or not. There is a lot of it at all the meals, but if you examine it closely, it is usually either chicken or pork or fish in a miriad of preparations, and lots of rice and plantain. Lots of fruit as well. I enjoyed it, but it was my first all inclusive, so have little to judge by. As far as the drinks at the various bars etc, there is a large sign hanging over the bar, with the drinks listed on it. You ask for one of those. However, as far as I could taste the drinks were weak, and didn't seem to pack a punch at all. I was told if you tip heavily, they will really dump a good shot in for you, but I never did that. One thing the bar tenders do is speak English.

Level Contributor
1,956 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the food like? And Drinks? At Decameron...

How isthe beach & the ocean at the RD??

Bellevue, Kentucky
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the food like? And Drinks? At Decameron...

Let me preface my reply with the fact that I am a repeat visitor to RD (9 times soon to be 10) and I love Panama.

The beaches have dark sand, not the white fine sand. The undertown in the ocean can be very bad. I have seen the lifeguards go out to rescue adults who went out too far or got in a bad whirlpool area. And the water is not clear but at times can be very murky. On one trip we scheduled to go snorkeling but it got cancelled more than once and we never got to go because the visibility was so bad.

Don't get me wrong, I like the beach and everything thing else about RD but I have seen complaints about the beach and ocean and my thinking is that if a person is aware ahead of time of what it's like, then they can't complain if they still go.

This site is a great place to get a lot of imput from people who have been there so that you can make an informed decision whether or not it's the place for you so keep asking questions.

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the food like? And Drinks? At Decameron...

Just returned for a stay between July 29 and August 6. We really liked the Decameron, however, how I would rate the food depends upon which meal you were talking about.

The breakfasts are good. Fresh fruits just okay, but the pinapple was outstanding. Homemade yogurt quite good. Also had pancakes, omelets, etc. Not too crazy about the local favorites, which include a variety of fried things.

The lunch buffets were horrible. My wife and I had to hunt to find something that we could actually eat, and most times, we were not successful. Trays of below school cafeteria quality food available, usually consisting of something overcooked, greasy and otherwise inedible. We are veterans of AI resorts and realize that one sometimes has to lower his/her expectations at these type of buffets, however, the lunch buffets were the worst we ever encountered at this type of resort. The exception was the individuallly prepared pork (served about every other day) was very good, and (at least) the Atlantis served pretty good homemade ice cream daily.

"Snacks," served between lunchtime and late afternoon at selected ala carte restaurants were no better. Burgers and chicken patties were overseasoned and apparently the meat supplemented with quite a bit of filler. The pizza, served at at least the Kontiki and Sushi Samba, was okay, though prepared with what tasted like pastry dough. Had we discovered it before our last day, we probably would have had it on a daily basis.

As for dinner, the first night we went to the Colombian buffet (different theme at each buffet restaurant each night). Again, could not find anything decent. We then swore off the buffet, with the exception of the Mexican, which was actually quite good, even though the tortillas were being served out of a plastic bag. The ala cart restaurant food was generallly very good, with the jerk pork at the Kontiki, the Pad Thai at Mogo Mogo and everthing at Sushi Samba receiving high marks. Seafood medeley at the Canal, however, was salty, heavy, and not good.

(Hint: although they tell you you are limited to 3 ala cartes per week, if you sign up at 7:00 am each morning, you are not limited. Don't know what the actual policy is, but that worked for us.)

As for the drinks, they have a menu of their standard drinks posted in Spanish on one side, English on the other. The bartenders are trained only to make those drinks, which tend to be the more exotic variety. Whether they know any others is a hit or miss propostiion, though if you explain to them how to make it, they will. The one exception is the lobby bar, where it seems to be just a bit more formal and the bartenders more knowledgeable.

Try the Moreno Ardiente, consisting of brandy, milk, brown sugar, coconut juice and banana.

And for the beach. Judging from what I have seen in other posts, we may hold a minority opinion, but we thought the beach was absolutely great. I realize the water is not Caribbean blue nor the sand Carribean white. This in not the Caribbean. And while you could not see down to your feet. I would not describe the water as murky, though other posters have. Although a bit sandy, the water was clean, warm and calm, and any undertow encountered during the 8 days we stayed there was nothing that my 8 year old couldn't easily handle. The sand never got too hot for barefeet, and the beach itself streached out for several miles.

All told, I think you'll have a great time if you know what to expect and chose your meals wisely.

Bellevue, Kentucky
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the food like? And Drinks? At Decameron...

I just want to clarify my post regarding the beach. I also love the beach, but I think some people who have been to the Carribean are thinking they are going to find the same clear water and white sandy beaches and that is not the case in Panama. I didn't mean that the water was murky all the time, I have just seen it get murky. It may depend on the time of year that you are there and the weather. That may be the same for the undertow. As far as the sand being hot. I know that every day they would water it down before we played volleyball in the morning and the afternoon and if you had to run out of the watered area to get the ball, it was hot. Again maybe the weather and time of year. I have been in the months of Feb, March, April, Sept, Oct and Nov, so I can only refer to what I experienced during those times.

I just want to make sure that no one thinks I am being negative on this matter.

I love Panama (11 trips to date) and Decameron (8 visitis to date).

Again I am so sorry if I came off negative about the beach, that was not my intention.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
841 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the food like? And Drinks? At Decameron...

I completely agree with Vyro67. I loved the resort very much but the beach was not nice. I wouldn't go back to Farallón due to that issue. Vyro67 is not being negative, it's a reality that the beach has hot, light brown sand and murky water.

8. Re: What's the food like? And Drinks? At Decameron...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 15:20
Get answers to your questions about Farallon
Recent Conversations