We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring? And how much cash?

scarboROUGH...
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What to bring? And how much cash?

Hi again,

My bf and I be leaving in a week for the RD. Can anyone please shed some light on what we should pack (other than the obvious?) For example, some things I thought we should bring are

-underwater/waterproof disposable camera

-poncho (or some other raincoat type thing)

-kleenex (apparently there's none in the room)

-lots of one dollar bills to use for tipping

-aloe vera/aftersun lotion

-bug spray (?)

anything else you can add would be much appreciated!

also, we would like to go on 2 tours, and do a bit of shopping. how much cash do you recommend we bring? are credit cards safe to use?

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to bring? And how much cash?

Lots of one dollar bills will be great as they are not that easy to get there.

Sanitizing hand wipes - I always travel with tons of these - especially good in beach bathrooms where there may not be soap or towels.

Better bring some SPF 15 also or you will burn for sure and sun hat.

Won't need an underwater camera unless youare going to be in the clear ocean in San Blas Pearl Islands or caribbean as the water is very murky at RD area and visibility is nil.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to bring? And how much cash?

Depending on what tour you go on not much cash is needed. Just the shopping and canal really can use credit cards. All the others (if you plan to buy the native crafts) only take cash. Lots of $1 bills like about 50 is good, and SPF 45 not 15 is needed. Bug spray not so much unless you take a jungle tour. The RD is oversprayed for bugs daily and you never see a fly even. Sometimes a spider gets in at night through the bathroom openings, so don't wander at night in your room in the dark. Carry a flashlight or turn the light on. Oh buy the tours with the credit card at the RD but carry cash on the tour. I found $50 was ample for buying the crafts.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to bring? And how much cash?

Sorry, I only use SPF 15, but then I am acclimated to the sun (living in hot sunny Florida) and my skin gets nice color with 15. Perhaps anyone with sensitive light skin, or are from a clime where there is not much sun would need a higher SPF (and children, of course.)

Definitely take bug repellent if you go off the resort, I wouldn't take a chance getting bitten by anything, anywhere! Bugs absolutely love me; my husband, not so much!

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to bring? And how much cash?

I know it can be a pain to carry low bills ($20, $10, $5, $1's), but there were a few places that wouldn't accept $50 bill, much less $100!!! Even if the bill was over $50!

scarboROUGH...
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to bring? And how much cash?

thanks everyone for the replies!

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to bring? And how much cash?

I forgot to mention this. You have to bring the $1's with you from Canada. They are not readily availble there. They will NOT change larger bills at reception into $1's, nor will the boutiques unless you buy something, and even then they may give you only a couple. I would highly recommend you bring 50 $1's with you for tipping. Other bills can be obtained from the ATM located OFF the resort outside of Lobby 1. It works fine and is always full of bills and my BMO crad worked fine.

7. Re: What to bring? And how much cash?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Farallon