We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Set and Pippa's

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sun Set and Pippa's

Do you get a view of the sun setting over the ocean here?

Also Pippas restaurant. If i go late is it safe to walk back down the beach..do u need a torch...prob a daft question but dont know where it is.

pete

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Set and Pippa's

Just heard myself this week, as my Canadian friends had been running the place. Pipas is now closed. I don't expect it to reopen soon. Sorry.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Set and Pippa's

was looking forward to some lobster....will have to see what other restaurants are around the resort

pete

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Set and Pippa's

Tut Tut..I maybe wrong, but I believe that Panamanian lobsters are endangered and not allowed to be caught. Any lobster you get, I am pretty sure has either been illegally caught or has been shipped in from somewhere else where it is legal. I think I have seen posted on here that you can have lobster at the RD, but it is not part of the all inclusive price of the resort. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny and I will know the truth. To the original poster about walking on the beach at night. I would say you need a 'torch' or 'flashlight', as you could easily fall into one of the many drainage ditches running down the beach from the land to the ocean, or other obstacles and holes. In fact I carried a small torch at all times as some parts of the RD are in total darkness or dim enough to miss low walls and little hedges, so you can trip over them and land in the flower beds. There are really no tripping hazards if you stay on the paths, but stepping aside to let the minibuses go by can result in falling over a bush etc. You will see the workers during the day time always repairing cracks and uneven parts of the pathways so you won't trip..

Mississauga, ont.
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Set and Pippa's

I've read a lot about Pippa's... has anyone gone recently that know's if its still open?? I'd love to have dinner there on my trip this coming Oct.

if you know.. that would be great,

thanks D.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Set and Pippa's

In Panama, the sun doesn't set on the Pacific. Because of the orientation of the isthmus (east-west), the Pacific is to the south, and these beaches point slightly SE, so you'll see the sun coming out in the morning. That's why it was called "mar del sur" by Balboa, the first spaniard to make it to the Pacific across the isthmus.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Set and Pippa's

Strictly speaking you are correct. But, I think that the coastline down by the RD actually runs in the direction of NE to SW, and at the very end, the beach curves around and heads NW. I distinctly recall, seeing the sun descend down at the end of the beach, but not over the water., but over the trees etc in the village. However, like most sourthern latitudes, it disappears very quickly.

7. Re: Sun Set and Pippa's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Farallon