We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute Panama trip. No idea where to go or what to do?

New York
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Last minute Panama trip. No idea where to go or what to do?

A friend and I are planning a last minute trip to Panama for the first week in August. We're scouring the sites trying to decide what are the MUST SEES/DOS, but feel overwhelmed. We'd seen a lot of praise for the Barefoot Panama Tours, but don't want to be locked into a set schedule - although we wouldn't be opposed to doing some day trips with them. Any help, suggestions? We feel like we have to see the Canal, but are also interested in Gamboa, Boquette, Bocos del Toro...our heads are spinning.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute Panama trip. No idea where to go or what to do?

As a new member to T/A, Welcome!

Your plan is too aggressive for just a week. You posted on the Farallon forum, so are you staying at Playa Blanca? If so, I would suggest you stay the first night in Panama City to be closer to the Canal and you could also visit and do the tours at Gamboa then. Casco Viejo is a must, I think, also in PC.

If you are staying in Farallon, you are in the middle of nowhere, so if this is your base, I would contact whypanama.com as Mary (who also is a

DE on this site) can better advise you on tours from that area.

From Farallon, I would suggest definitely a visit to El Valle and all that there is to do up there.

Bocos and Boquette involve air travel or a long bus ride overnite and perhaps they could be on your next trip. Otherwise, you will be traveling a fair bit of your short time here.

Also this may help you:

Perhaps this information will help you better your search for your vacation information

As you can imagine, questions like yours are asked all the time.

Please let me help you so you can get around T/A easily and effortlessly:

As a new user of the forums, I would suggest before posting on any forum to read the "sticky" at the top of that forum’s page...that says "Read me First-Welcome to the Panama forum" (or any other forum you will visit anywhere in the world.) There is a "push pin picture" next to this listing.

Clicking on this "sticky" will explain the focus / purpose of the forum, How to use it to research your trip; very important information here, and other details on getting your way around T/A and all its help. Please do post back if you have further questions in your research or are puzzled!

Enjoy !

Of course, you are overwhelmed, any trip is overwhelming in the planning stage. I am working on a trip to New York and I am overwhelmed too. It

takes a little time, but you will get it sorted out. Don't worry.

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute Panama trip. No idea where to go or what to do?

Hey Mary, do a google on Bocas del Toro, then compare it with the other places Panama has to offer and we'll be seeing you in Augusto, ciao for now

Las Margaritas/El...
Level Contributor
789 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute Panama trip. No idea where to go or what to do?

I would be very leary of Barefoot Panama. I just had clients that had reserved to go fishing to the Pearl Islands on a cat this week. According to them this morning they didn't get to go to the Pearl Islands and instead went fishing on a 23' small boat. A total let down for what they had reserved! They ended up fishing in the "shipping lanes" according to them.

The tour company was also almost 1 hour late picking them up in the interior. The only thing they were told was it was raining very heavy in the city and that is why they were late picking them up.

Mary

Edited: 24 June 2010, 23:56
4. Re: Last minute Panama trip. No idea where to go or what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Farallon