We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running routes

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Running routes

I'm training for a marathon in September and need to keep running while on vacation in Playa Blanca. Does anyone have any suggestions? Last time I was there the beach only went 1-2 miles before it broke for a little river (too wide to cross unless swimming). Is it safe to run to Coronado on the road?

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running routes

Playa Blanca to Coronado - that would be quite a run - that is at least 20 kilometers - one way.

Around Playa Blaca - would not suggest the roads - especially the highway - you would have to have a death wish to run on the side of it - there is the road that goes back out to the highway maybe 1.5 miles total at best.

If you head towards Decameron on the beach - yes you will into the small river but if you head the other direction - I think you have a lot longer run.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running routes

While visiting Panama a few weeks ago, I stayed in Paraiso (between the Miraflores Locks and Gamboa) and I was amazed at the number of *brave* cyclists on the road. There was *no* paved shoulder to speak of - the lane edge was painted, and there was literally 4-6 inches max before the pavement ended and dropped off into the dirt.

So, cars had to veer quite a bit to the left to dodge the cyclists. To be fair the cyclists were trying very hard to stay to the right as much as possible, but with no shoulder, they were pretty much sticking right out in the normal lane of traffic, and it was a two-lane road with no left turn lane or median.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running routes

Panama City is not very bike friendly or running friendly - not even that walking friendly since many of the locals like to park their car across the sidewalk - also many metal grates are missing in the sidewalk ( covers for utilities) some big enough to fall into and disappear -

Actaully walking is fine - just keep an eye on where you step

ldn
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Running routes

Hi............You can cross the river @low tide in the morning.Its maybe a foot or less deep

5. Re: Running routes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Farallon