We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Farallon, Never been.

alberta
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Farallon, Never been.

We are thinking of coming to Panama and staying in Farallon. We have never been there and I am have concerns of the safety there. I have read different stories about crime, driving, and crime at hotels. Any information would be helpful.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,871 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Farallon, Never been.

Where have you heard those stories ? I haven't heard any.

And what about driving ?

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Farallon, Never been.

Farallon is relativly safe. I have walked the streets in the daytime and never had an issue. Expect the locals to approach you, but you will probably not be threatened in any way. If you can hold a conversation in Spanish, you will be more welcomed, maybe even into their homes, as we have been.

Driving is also safe. I have driven from Decameron to Penenome, up into the mountains around El Valle and also down on to Santa Clara Beach - a MUST SEE. If you rent with a premium credit card, you probably don't need the extra insurance, but check with your provider. Drive with caution and you will have no troubles. I hear it can be pretty crazy in Panama City, but I didn't try that.

Crime at the resort is something quite different...every time we go, we hear of petty thefts occuring. Security at the resort (RDC) is pretty thick...one guard in front and one out back of each low-rise. However, the hotel uses an older key type system, and if a key goes missing (pretty common) I'm pretty sure they don't re-key the door. Therefore, there may be MANY copies of keys for your unit. Travel safe...pay the $3.00/day for the safe deposit box and don't leave high value items out in the open. Keep an eye on your belongings when you are at the beach or the pool. Last year we all saw a "guest" get caught trying to steal a cellphone from a table by the pool. He was succesful in grabbing it, but made the mistake of returning to the same area afterwards, when he was pointed out to security staff and removed from the site pretty quickly.

That said, RDC, and Farallon area is safe enough that I allow my 15 yr old son to roam the resort until midnight, provided he has his phone with him, so I can GPS/text/call him.

Be safe and alert and you will have no troubles here.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,871 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Farallon, Never been.

I live - and drive - in Panama City and can tell you all about that if you are interested.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Farallon, Never been.

Hi, we are also going to Royal Decameron end of February. I did research before and was told to expect the same as if you went to Mexico, DR, Cuba, etc. That is, resort is pretty safe, there is some petty crime but find that in other places and in Edmonton. We have a rule that we always return to resort by 11:00 if we are on our own. If with a tour group then I don't worry. I'm quite excited and looking forward to a different country. I do not speak spanish except for a few words but have found even those few words make a difference. And, smiles and thank-you.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Farallon, Never been.

Hi, Farallon is pretty safe we go almost every day to running by the beach and in low tide you can cross the river to playa blanca beach. During summer time between Nov to Apr the water of the beach is beautiful. Be careful with the Farallon town, the fisherman drink every day and is not good walk around. However the beach always is safe.

Medellin, Colombia
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Farallon, Never been.

Farallon is fairly safe. It's a lower working class community. I stayed in the town and bought fish from the fisherman. There are a few Chinese grocery stores "chinos" to shop at too. Walking around is fine, just be street smart like anywhere else. Just keep an eye on your stuff when on the beach.

I bicycled solo through most of the country and never felt threatened. curiousnomad.com/bike-tour-panama-city-find-…

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
435 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Farallon, Never been.

Personal safety was not a concern to us when we spent our time in the country. We spent two weeks at the Royal Decameron and most of the time we were out and about off the resort. If you use your common sense and not venture out to areas that might seen sketchy you will be fine.

8. Re: Safety in Farallon, Never been.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Farallon