We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Taboga? Do it or skip it?

Which Isla Taboga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Taboga? Do it or skip it?

Searching TA brought me to some older postings asking about Taboga and the reviews seem mixed. What's the current opinion on a day trip to Taboga? During an upcoming trip to Panama I'll have 3 days in the Panama City area before returning to the US, so I'd like to use my time there wisely.

4 replies to this topic
Philly
Level Contributor
25 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Taboga? Do it or skip it?

We were in Panama last month and did a day trip to Taboga. If you'd like to spend time at the beach, definitely go. If you're not a beach person, skip it. The beach is the nicest you'll find that close to Panama City. We were some of the only tourists on the ferry ride there and back. It seems that locals go there for the beaches on the weekends. There isn't much of a town, but there are plenty of paths and sidewalks to explore. The ferry ride there and back was the best part for us, since you get to see the boats coming,going, or waiting for the canal. I'm glad we went, but we aren't beach people so I wished we had booked the earlier ferry back to Panama City.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Taboga? Do it or skip it?

Its a slow day but worth the side trip. We spent some time at the beach (rented a straw hut of sorts for $5). After a couple of hours, we wandered around the island, did some hiking and ate at a local joint we found somewhere up yonder. Then we went back down to the beach and hung out some more.

It's not exciting but its a pleasant day trip. I would say do it once but bring a cooler with some water and snacks, bring sunscreen and maybe some dry clothes. Also a radio helps...alot!

Enjoy. It's a cute town.

Edited: 27 June 2011, 22:26
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Taboga? Do it or skip it?

I agree with the fact that if you are not a beach person don't bother. A little info on the ferry. There are two ferries, the more touristic one leaves from Isla Perico it is called the Callypso King/Queen it has one early 8AM or so trip to Taboga and one 3:30 way back I think they have one more midday trip on weekends. Cost $6 each way.

The other ferry is what the locals take it leaves from the Yacht Club of Amador and it also leaves around 8AM and comes back at 4PM it is faster only about 20 min and cost is the same $6 each way.

Eat at the Hotel Vereda Tropical (left as you exit the dock about 3 min walk, other places look shady)

Rent an umbrella and chairs.

Would not recommend for a solo trip but couple or group.

Interesting to watch the tide rise at the beach connecting both sides of the beach by 2PM.

Take an umbrella on the left side of the beach, the sand doesn't have rocks there.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
32 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Taboga? Do it or skip it?

We took the ferry today from Amador Causeway. Got there at 7:35 for the 8am ferry and it was already sold out. Had to wait until 10:30 for the next ferry. (The line started forming at 9am.) I would not recommend if you are looking for beaches similar to U.S. This is a very rugged area; no bathrooms (and the one available for 50 cents is SCARY at best). Beach is full of litter and water is dirty. Rent a car and drive the 1 1/2 hours from the city to make it a worthwhile beach trip!

Reply to: Trip to Taboga? Do it or skip it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isla Taboga
Recent Conversations