We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catamaran or Yandup mid-November

France
Level Contributor
21 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Catamaran or Yandup mid-November

Weather wise, which would be the best option? We would like to combine sea and Kuna culture. Thanks for the advice of all connaiseurs of the San Blas islands!

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catamaran or Yandup mid-November

Not sure I understand your question regarding weather, but aboard a boat is definately the best way to see the San Blas.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catamaran or Yandup mid-November

Recent response to a PM that I thought might be useful to others on the forum.

The weather in the San Blas is never really "bad". I know a few people who spend most of the year there. It is more/less windy or more/less rainy (mostly at night), but no really bad season to be there.

Ive worked many years as a charter captain, though not in the San Blas, your captain will know the area (or obviously should). Your captain should just be looking for information so he knows your preferences...he's not expecting you to navigate...thats his job. The information you and the captain should discuss is any particular places you want to visit and what type of activities you like. A good booking agent should be asking you these questions, as aparently they are, and passing it along to the captain.

There are almost 400 islands in the San Blas and many of these are clustered into groups with a fringe reef. Hard to go wrong with any of them, but we really like the Eastern Holandes and Coco Bandera groups. Beautiful places with many great snorkeling spots.

I also suggest visiting one of the more populated islands to see what a typical Kuna village is like. Your captain should know which one best suites your route.

Charters are not cheap (be wary of any that are), because boats are expensive to purchase and operate, but it is the ideal way to see the San Blas.

3. Re: Catamaran or Yandup mid-November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:18