We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lae

Adelaide, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Lae

i AM LOOKING AT WORKING IN LAE PORT MORS.OVER THE NEXT 2 YEARS. all i read is danger, surely people work and live in reasonable standards We have the same issues in outback Australia, Being an ex pat i assume there are places that cater for groups.Accommodation seems to be hard to find ,any input would be great..

11 replies to this topic
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
303 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lae

See my post here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294115-i3592-k515…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lae

I have worked in lae twice in as many years, and I can say its definately not the safest place around especially compared to Australia. Everything is expensive and limited in Lae due to the mining industry.

Adelaide, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lae

thanks for that, did you go as working for a company , and just in the city it self or higher up...where did you stay while you were overthere....thanks..

lae
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Lae

I lve in Lae presntly,and the place s completely different to what we are used to back in Australa.The Place is like a fish bowl.You do the same thngs day in day out.The place is itself reminds me lie Alice springs ,but with the Tennat Creek feel.It is expensive place,but if you are on a good wicet,and you know how to save.You could walk away from here when your time is up,very comfortable and you could set your self up in a good way.Safety and your health is your number 1 priorty.The palce could change within a minute.But if you are smart enough you will be ok.Dont read to much of the post you read about the place.Some of it is true and things do happen,but the place can be good for you if you want it to be.Like i said the place is a dump,but if you can live with it,and you look after yourself and be smart about it the place can set you up.

Adelaide, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lae

Thanks for that finally got a honest opinion I worked in Alice and had time in tennant only a week or so. I am only in LAE for about 6 months ,sounds like I should survive...

Bucks
Level Contributor
121 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lae

Hi Wolf

My uncle worked and is still living in Lae for about 40 years - we used to get regular letters from him describing his 'adventures' just surviving all the corruption and lawlessness - you certainly have to know how to look after yourself. He's be in his 80s now and hardly writes anymore - his health isn't great now so if you are out there working look out for a very grumpy 80 year old with a bad leg and attitude called Jim Rook!

Bucks
Level Contributor
121 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lae

Hi Paul

PM'd you ref my uncle, Jim Rook in Lae (see earlier post) as you are in Lae. Hope you don't mind.

Lae, PNG
Level Contributor
3 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lae

OK guys... Lets put this into perspective. Yep there is crime and corruption here, but there is crime and corruption in Australia aswell.. Sure here they wont just rob you, they might cut you into little pieces but the best advice up here is dont put yourself into any predicament that you cant get out of. Don't walk around outside day or night unless it is an established shop or club, don't stare at the locals as some will take offence to it.. Your a foreigner in their country, respect their cultures even if you don't agree with them.. They can be absolute pigs, but most are very nice genuine people who will do anything for you without question. I have lived in Lae for 15 months now and have never had any trouble. I run a large retail outlet here and have alot of staff and an equally large amount of security staff. Thats what happens here. You will see plenty of security guards around. Working here is good but don't expect to have a good nightlife as you are really limited to the Golf club or the Yacht club for any social interaction. Benifits are usually excellent for working here and Paul said it right, that you can set yourself up with some time here. Most things are expensive here except Fruit & veges as these come down from the highlands. We have our fair share of 'Civil Unrest' here in Lae. If they want to get a point accross to the government, what better way than to gather 10000 of your friends (wantoks) and march around town chanting slogans. Whilst this is ok, its the odd fiew raskols who take advantage of this and loot and pillage the shops and pick pocket the people that causes the mayhem. Overall, it's ok.. If your here for work, you will be fine. Lae probably isnt a place you would visit for a holiday. Hope this helps a bit..

Cheers!

Adelaide, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lae

thanks for your post . I am in Lae from the 24/5 . I have secured some accommodation on airways ave, It over looks the stadium and bay . I will probably be in Lae for about 6 -8 months on a warehouse project . Interestedly I might need to use your retail outlet . Maybe it might be worth catching up as a ex pat when there . I have heard a lot of negative aspects but also good , so I am looking forward to enjoying the stay . Is there any critical immunizations you would suggest...wolf h..

Adelaide, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lae

MAZDA GIRL,

Will be in Lae end of May will keep a look out....wolf h.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 03:08
Reply to: Lae
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lae