We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Peru Itinerary

Which Puerto Maldonado hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
1 post
Save Topic
Our Peru Itinerary

My boyfriend and I are going to Peru for about 14 days. We are hiking to Machu Picchu and that is taking up the majority of our schedule. We have the option of 2 days in Puno and to skip our visit to Puerto Maldonado, or go one day to Puno and do Puerto Maldonado for 2 days. Our adviser is currently telling us we cannot do Puerto Maldonado for 1 day as it is not worth it. Can anyone please give us there suggestion or opinion on which is a must see, or if both are possible and worth it for a short amount of time? Please let us know!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
248 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Peru Itinerary

I'm also going to Peru for about 14 days! My husband and I decided to go to Puerto Maldonado over Puno. I didn't feel like doing both was feasible in 2 weeks without feeling really rushed...and I want to feel relaxed on our vacation.

Puno seems uniquely Peruvian while you can visit the rainforest elsewhere. But to us, the rainforest seemed more romantic (we'll be celebrating our anniversary!). Plus, we live in a big city and for our vacation, just wanted to spend some time out in nature.

By reading through the forums, I've found that you need at least 2 nights (preferably 3) for Puerto Maldonado because of the time it takes not just to fly but also to take a bus and boat to a jungle lodge.

Peru
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Peru Itinerary

Hey there,

For a real “jungle experience” it’s best to visit one of the jungle lodges outside of Puerto Maldonado and go on wildlife excursions with a guide. These lodges are only accessible via river boat from the town of Puerto Maldonado. The closest lodge (to my best knowledge) is about 45min to 1hour away. Given the travel logistics of getting to one of these lodges, a day trip is just not doable. I went to a jungle lodge near Puerto Maldonado with my parents last December and thought our stay of 3days/2nights was perfect.

I hope this helps! Happy travels.

Britt

Peru for Less/Latin America for Less

3. Re: Our Peru Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Maldonado