We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Puno-Arequipa

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Puno-Arequipa

Hello fellow travelers!

My parents and I are heading to Peru in a couple of days and at one point we need to get from Puno to Arequipa by bus. I've read various posts and see that people have either taken Cruz del Sur or the 4M bus. However, when trying to reserve in their website, Cruz del Sur only offers a 3PM departure, and the 4M bus would take a bit too long since it has various stops along the way. Can anyone recommend any other bus companies that offer earlier departures and have a direct route? Thank you for your help!! :)

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Puno-Arequipa

No I cannot recommend any other companies. The stops with 4M are not that long and it is a direct route.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 22:06
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Puno-Arequipa

4M dont go to Arequipa city but Chivay. Many companies offer early departures: Julsa, Flores,Romeliza,Carhuamayo, etc., etc. Just go to the bus station and get a ticket.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Puno-Arequipa

NH1979 is wrong.

4M-express charges $30 to go direct Puno to Arequipa without stopping in Chivay.. They are a tourist service that pick up from hotels in Puno. They arrive into the Puno bus terminal but do not depart from there. You reserve ahead thru a hotel or travel agent. They take the main highway and make a few stops to look at lagunas and have tea at the pass. At least their busses have safe drivers and are well maintained, and do not pick up passengers along the way. There is oxygen on board as well as they will offer you coca and water.

They dropped me straight at my hotel in Arequipa. Not the terminal.

Check the website if you have not become familiar with their service

http://www.4m-express.com/

Edited: 15 June 2012, 23:33
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Puno-Arequipa

ups, you right mlgb, in the past they onlyy offered Arequipa-Chivay-Arequipa. Anyway, for early departures use Julsa or Flores. They charge about 15 soles which is less than 6 dolars. By the way, 4M has a new competitor "Sillustani" It's cheaper than 4M. They dont have a website. its office is located very close to the Chivay square.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 23:53
Mentioned in this post
Sillustani
Sillustani
1,659 Reviews
Puno, Peru
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Puno-Arequipa

i meant, chivay-puno-chivay :)

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Puno-Arequipa

Thank you both for your help! I ended up making a reservation with 4M and they were very fast and helpful. It doesn't seem to take that long and I've read great things about their service on this forum. Thanks again!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Puno-Arequipa

You are welcome. In fact I predict that you might be frustrated that they do not stop for longer.

The "triple" tea at the rest stop is nice. This is included in the fare, along with a snack, if I remember correctly from November.

San Jose
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Puno-Arequipa

I found this post very helpful since I also plan to take a bus from Puno to Arequipa after the tour of Lake Titicaca.

From what I've seen so far, all the tour of LT ends at Puno about 4pm or 5pm. Is there any bus after that time?

It looks like Cruz del Sur only has 3pm departure and 4M has 6:16am departure. Any other options are available?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Titicaca
Lake Titicaca
1,731 Reviews
Puno, Peru
Lyon, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Puno-Arequipa

Hello,

we're going to Peru in April and we wnat to do the same thing as you (the lake and after take a bus to do to Arequipa) did you find a solution with the bus ?

Thanks a lot

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,252 posts
364 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus Puno-Arequipa

There are regular busses by different companies, all the time, like Julsa and Flores.