We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery stores

ashland, oregon
Level Contributor
449 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery stores

Do grocery stores in downtown accept credit cards or cash only?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery stores

Yes they accept Credit card

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,627 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery stores

Yes, and the popular ones are Wong, Vivanda, Metro, plaza Vea and Tottus

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery stores

Also a good place to use an ATM machine and get change for a large note.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery stores

If you plan to use your Credit Card at a supermarket you should have your Passport on you as well. A US Drivers license will often be rejected as satisfactory ID at stores like Wong and Vivando for whatever reason.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery stores

Good point. I was caught out once trying to use a CC at a restaurant and not having my passport as ID. They let it slide though when I said I was staying around the block and could go back and get it if needed, they probably thought I wouldn't come back!.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery stores

Does a copy of your passport typically work in those situations? (That is what I have used when making credit card purchases in Spain.)

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery stores

Unfortunately not always. If I do anticipate using my credit cards and Passport I have a small zip pouch (or use a bandana to wrap them) and tuck them inside my clothing under the arm, aka "the Puerto Rican purse". I don't put them in anything that can be snatched such as a neck pouch, or even a cloth underclothing money belt.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 19:55
Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery stores

One nice thing about credit card usage in many supermarkets is that you total is often shown in US dollars for us foreigners. I love shopping in Metro. :)

ashland, oregon
Level Contributor
449 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery stores

I didn't realize there was a Vivanda in Trujillo? How far is it from the Libertador hotel? Any others near this hotel?

10. Re: Grocery stores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:21