We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elizabeth or manor

Which Baguio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Makati, Philippines
6 posts
Save Topic
elizabeth or manor

I want my Mom to experience Baguio this year. Can anyone help me to decide which one is a better hotel between elizabeth and manor?

Thanks in advance.

ktycute

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: elizabeth or manor

Hi there! Believe it or not, I bring my mom every year to relax and unwind at CJH Manor during the rainy months! Yep! They offer their rooms at 50%off during july to september! Last year we bravely travelled to Baguio using alternate routes as a storm just flooded the areas of Tarlac. It was all worth it as Baguio was all peace and quiet and perfectly cool! It rained a bit during the evenings but made it all cooler in the morning! It was fun enjoying our room service breakfast in the veranda!

Am actually in the middle of contacting hotels now as my mom cant wait to for August and cant stand the heat here in the metro so might go to Baguio on Saturday! Havent been able to contact Manor, so am also checking Elizabeth. A third option would be to checkout PNKY bed & breakfast who's been getting a lot of buzz too, though obviously far from Manor and Elizabeth levels.

Makati, Philippines
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: elizabeth or manor

Hi impulsetraveller,

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. :)

It would be my Moms first time in Baguio that's why I want it to be the most memorable one for her.

We are already settled to go in Baguio this December so i'm expecting now that I can't avail any of the discounts since this is a peak season.

I want to stay in Elizabeth bcoz I like their rooms and the hotel itself judging from their site. But I'm having second thoughts so far since there are good reviews that I've read here about CJH (except for negative review about the parking space).

I already contacted Woodridge & Elizabeth last April. It turned out that Woodridge is now pricey than elizabeth, since they have new rates for their accommodations.

I also emailed Elizabeth for reservations inquiry this month of May only, but no reply from them so far.

Can you pls. give me details on how if you where able to make reservations with elizabeth already? Thanks!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: elizabeth or manor

Hi again! We are off to Baguio this saturday for a 3 day 2 night break! Bit on impulse huh?! :) Too bad Manor is fully booked on saturday, and the thought of transferring hotels is not my idea of a relaxing weekend. I hurriedly checked available accomodations this afternoon, and Hotel Elizabeth was wide open, with their deluxe rooms just about P500 cheaper than CJH Manor's standard, I guess its a good option.

I called Baguio directly. I guess its been a habit of mine to book a (Philippine) hotel direct than through a booking office in Manila as I've had a lot of traumatic experiences with other properties in the past when booking through Manila. Anyway, the one who handled my reservation (Jenny) was courteous, and making the reservation was too simple. She just got the dates and my contact number - no credit card guarantee which is usually the case with the bigger hotels (like Manor for example). Will call them again on Friday to reconfirm though. Ttheir direct line is (074)6190367 or through the Manila office at (632)911-2161.

Like Manor, Elizabeth also has accomodations for family drivers at P500 per night. I guess nothing beats the P600/night Mile-High Inn accomodations for drivers if you book at the Manor. Our driver always enjoy the location (just below the various food choices of that area!).

I read also the reviews. Well I do have friends who have varied views on Manor. Im glad I havent encountered any of those negative stuff in the last 3 times we stayed at the Manor. We loved going there, and we definitely enjoyed the food! Though am not referring to the breakfast of course, but their ala carte dinner wont disappoint! Well, again that depends on ones choice of meal. I don't think there's any other place in Baguio where I can enjoy an excellent pan seared foie gras on Baguio greens! And as for the parking? Well parking is always a challenge almost everywhere in Baguio!

Am looking forward to our stay in Hotel Elizabeth. Will try to give you feedback as soon as we get back.

Makati, Philippines
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: elizabeth or manor

I'll wait for your next post on what is your experience on hotel elizabeth before making any reservations.

manila
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: elizabeth or manor

hi!

We've been to the Manor hotel at camp john hay and its simply an outstanding hotel with very friendly and courteous staff....peaceful and serene away from all the noisy bars and crowds at session road.. their food was really verry goood...i love their salads and the waiters were very attentive and would check on you from time to time if you need anything ... I was told they offer 50%discounts during off peak months which is june to sept..

Their garden is very nice and i remember that afternoon there were workers trying to spray the sorroundings to keep the uninvited dengue mosquitos off this haven.......

Your mom might want to see the commanders quarters at cjh which is now open for public viewing..they have a tour guide there ...it was nicely preserved...

I wish you both a most enjoyable vacation-----the cool weather and fresh pine scented air...... good food, fresh greens and strawberries -------hmmmmmnnnn ..........for my husband and i---baguio is just perrrfect and delightfully romantic !!!!!!!!!

Makati, Philippines
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: elizabeth or manor

hi sharmymanila,

Thanks for sharing your experience at manor I really appreaciate it. :)

hi impulsetraveller,

How’s your trip in Baguio, and your stay at Elizabeth hotel, is it ok? :)

Thanks,

ktycute

quezon city
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: elizabeth or manor

test

quezon city
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: elizabeth or manor

hi guys!

wanna share my two cents regarding the question ktycute has posted.

for me Hotel Elizabeth is my first choice.

me and my family go to baguio 5 -10 times a year. i enjoy the drive and its a good getaway from the city. we generally avoid baguio during the hot months.

we've stayed in about 10 (or more) hotels in the city over the past 5 years. when only me and my wife go there, we like to explore a bit and we usually stay the first night on a new hotel then transfer to Elizabeth on our succeeding night. worth mentioning are CJ Manor and Pines View Hotel (in legarda road). those three (elizabeth, manor and pines view) are our best choices and what we always recommend to friends. of the three, Hotel Elizabeth tops at no.1 followed by Pines View and coming in at last place is the CJ Manor.

when we choose a hotel, the first thing we look at is the location, it has to be a quiet, relaxing place. secondly, the room layout; it has to be very clean-looking and clean-smelling, airy, well-planned, cozy and comfy. third, the bathroom; must be absolutely clean and well-appointed. fourth; staff attitude and food quality.

Hotel Elizabeth penthouse suite and the executive suite are our favorites. Pines View penthouse is also good but the sala is a bit small and cramped, not well-laid.. the (pines view) deluxe room with verandah is nearly as good as Elizabeth's exec suite.

CJ Manor....well...i actually dont know why we like it. its our last choice. we only go there when both elizabeth and pines view are fully-booked. the furnishings, the bed isnt really to my liking. oh and the smell! i dont like how the room smells. we've tried the 1-bedroom suite thrice and we're really not planning to go there anytime soon.

actually next weekend we're going over to Elizabeth with some friends.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: elizabeth or manor

Hi ktycute! Sorry for the delay! Was obviously maxing out the last days of summer!

Anyway, will write a full review of Hotel Elizabeth soon. But initially, here goes:

It is a very good hotel actually! Very attentive staff... nice, cozy rooms. I'd definitely consider staying there, if the Manor is fully booked again. Don't get me wrong, its simply a matter of preference. Like you, I travel with my mom, and as mentioned we've been going to Baguio for the last few years (never during the peak months). She like Hotel Elizabeth also, but after we checked out, we went to the Manor for lunch (and bought some goodies from their cake shop after hoarding on raisin bread from BCC). As soon as we entered the lobby, she simply said "mas maganda pa rin talaga dito, mas gusto ko to" ("this is really beautiful, I still prefer this one"). I definitely agree.

Since your post is a question of the choice between the two, let me break it down here, comparing their standard/superior double/twin rooms:

If you are not bringing a car...

The Manor would be a bad choice. Specially if your mom has a difficult time walking. Since it is in the middle of Camp John Hay, obviously you'll be spending a lot in cab fare. There are vehicles outside the hotel that can be rented out per day with driver (last year I checked it was P1,500) unless you chance upon taxis dropping off guests. However, a short walk from the Manor is the commissary area of CJH which has several good restaurants, outlet stores, and a duty free shop. Elizabeth is close to Mines View, Wright Park, and Good Shepherd but don't be deceived by their maps - it is not within walking distance (except I guess to Wright Park and the church, though I didn't attempt to).

If you have a driver...

Both Manor and Elizabeth can arrange a room for your driver. The Elizabeth has their in house driver's quarters (at P500/night) while the Manor has their own housing near the hotel and also by arrangement at the Mile-Hi Inn (P600/night. which our driver prefers to than Elizabeth's).

If you like peace and quiet...

Based on my experience, there's more of that at the Manor. Our room at Elizabeth had a nice view, but you can hear the cars going around the driveway, and those passing by the main road in the intersection (Gibraltar road). I look forward to lounging at the veranda and ordering room service at the Manor and eating it outside specially breakfast while watching the fog as it clears in the distance. Can't do that at Elizabeth. Also, we were at the Elizabeth on a weekend, and there was a band playing to an audience (of 5 people who seemed to be not listening) in the lobby that saturday night. And we can hear it up to our room!

Outside your room there are a lot of places to explore around the Manor. The hotel grounds alone would provide plenty of photo opportunities.

If you like wood or concrete...

Elizabeth is mediteranean inspired, while Manor has that log cabin feel. I strongly disagree with the above post. Well if you do not like the smell of wood, obviously you'll hate Manor. The smell of (pine) woodIt is something I look forward to whenever I go to Baguio, and it's actually what I miss at Elizabeth. And the sad thing about Elizabeth is that although the design of the hotel is impressive, it does not reflect on the design and finishing of their bathroom. Its one of the few things I dislike about Elizabeth. I wouldnt use the word luxury for their bathrooms. But again, don't get me wrong, I'm just comparing both, not saying that Elizabeth's is bad.

And oh, hot water?

Didn't have any problems in the past at the Manor, though you'll notice a metal tank in your bathroom under the sink which produces your hot water. That was the problem at Elizabeth. We called guest services and they apologized, saying that at that time there were plenty of guests checking out which explains the situation. We were told to wait about 10 minutes, or keep the shower running til hot water comes out (and in fairness, it did in less than 5 minutes). That was last weekend - and it wasn't even peak season. Imagine if it was Holy Week or Christmas?!

If you like enjoying meals...

Manor wins. I've read some bad reviews about Manor's breakfast buffet, and well, you have to try Elizabeth's breakfast - that I'd like to hear! On our third day, we were even told that there was no buffet that day because of the drop in occupancy so it was ala carte. Which was a good thing actually. I even told my driver the night before that he can have my buffet ticket for the next day . The Manor has the main restaurant and the piano bar (which is definitely a lot better in terms of ambience than the whole of Elizabeth's dining areas). Manor's menu selection is obviously far superior than Elizabeth's of course!

If their gym and spa is important to you...

Manor has better facilities, though still not conducive to exercise. Elizabeth's gym has new (or under utilized!) equipment, but I'm sure if you are a fitness enthusiast, you wouldn't spend 30 minutes there. I suggest taking a walk than using their threadmill or their bikes. Both Manor and Elizabeth's "spa" are basic, though Manor has a sauna and jacuzzi. Elizabeth just has a room with reclining lounge chairs and a massage room. Rather than getting a massage there, I'd highly recommend an afternoon at North Haven Spa! Its a spa I tried for the first time and was there for four hours! Heaven. So far my best (Philippine) spa experience. It would be nice to treat your mom there! Believe me!

I'm sure I've left out some items here. Let me know if you have questions which I can answer in my review, and I'll be posting pictures of the hotel too.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: elizabeth or manor

Oh and by the way, in case you have decided on Elizabeth, make sure to check on the ongoing construction. They have started excavating on the front left side of the hotel for an (?) expansion project of the hotel (well, this was according to my mom's therapist from their spa, so its unconfirmed). It obviously looks it is in its initial stage, and it hasn't caused any serious noise trouble during our stay. You can view the whole work area from their gym on the second floor. To which extent that work will be by December for your trip, it's hard to tell. But if inconveniences caused by that construction, if it is part of the hotel, would mean promo rates, well, that's another wise thing to consider!