We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Place for Igorot Culture

Which Baguio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
A Place for Igorot Culture

When I had the chance to stay in Baguio (place where my mom grew up) i realized that this place is the best place to experience the Igorot Feeling. By the way Igorot is another native tribe of the Philippines which can be located in Northern region of the philippines.

I learned how to do their dancing, how to knit their hand woven clothes the way they eat and hunt food is the best one......want more then explore the Philippines northern region.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Place for Igorot Culture

Thanks for sharing.yes the northern tribal areas have a lot to offer in terms of culture. Rice terraces, hudhud chants and traditions. However please note that there is no one single tribe called igorot. There are ifugaos, kalingas, bontoc etc but igorot is an often used but sometimes negative term used by low landers to define generically the mountain tribes of northern Luzon. In short, this term is not preferred. But I share your appreciation , admiration and fascination of these tribal groups.

2. Re: A Place for Igorot Culture

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 March 2013, 20:05
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Place for Igorot Culture

thank you sorry it just happened that i love this place i do not have the negative approached regarding the place well simply because i am one of them I am from Kalinga tribes but fortunately were able to travel in other country ........ i just would like to give honor to where i came from.

I am out of my country the Philippines for 19 years so excuse me if i offended you or anyone but mine is to give honor and respect for my native land and also for my granddad who is a chieftain of one of the Kalinga Tribes.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Place for Igorot Culture

i dont mean anything bad...just wanted to create some awareness.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Place for Igorot Culture

me too......don't worry i am always ready to promote Philippines because i love it when i visited it 1st time again after a very long years.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Place for Igorot Culture

I agree,

The Tam Awan village and Ben Cab museum are absolute eye openers. They remind all the three - Filipinos living in Philippines, Balikbayans and foreigners, that Filipino culture reaches out much much before the Spaniards came in 1521.

And it is amazingly rich! Kudos to the people who put in efforts to do this. I sometimes find Baguio, Benguet and Banaue (and the aetas) more Filipino than their city counterparts.

Hopefully the history text books in the Philippines will change to reflect the Filipino culture that already existed before the Spanish "discovered" Philippines (they did not discover it! The Chinese, Mlay, Indonesians and Indians traded with Phils since 7th century. ... now I wonder who will correct Yoyoy Villame's song....?!)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Place for Igorot Culture

Yes, Baguio, like Davao City, both embrace their tribal roots. That is why I love both cities. Iloilo City does it in a limited basis as well as Kalibo. No offense to the Catholic Church, but it tends to inject itself sometimes into festivals that clearly have pre-Hispanic and therefore pre-Christian origins or inspiration.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Place for Igorot Culture

@ Miglovin,

I agree ...

though there is nothing new in that.... it happened in Europe 1500 years ago, it now happens in the Phils.

... Easter had nothing to do with Christ - it was the "new religion's" way of adapting an existing harvest festival to it (it is funny that very few people wonder about the connection between rabbits, eggs and the resurrection) . Similarly, nowhere in the bible or the canonical gospels is the date 24 December mentioned specifically - Christmas was decided to be celebrated on the last day fo Saturnalia. (which had it;s origins in the winter solstice date)

Don't get me wrong ... I find all of them messengers of hope to all of us - whether it is the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the new harvest season or fertility - all celebrated ont eh same date.

However, the people of 4th century AD and 19th century AD had a justification for their ignorance. We int eh 21st century of internet and information on our finger tips have none. I was surprised that few people living in Agusan (let alone Philippines) were aware of the rich 7th century history of the place (I blame it on the history that is taught in school). Ah - perhaps if the Americans had known more about Filipino history, they would have injected it into the school system... once they got over their guilt of having wiped out Indians from USA.... but this was not to be....

Even today, all Filipinos know that they were ruled by Spaniards. Very few know what / how Philippines was before that. I hope that changes, for this is a country with such beautiful people who can teach all of us so much.

9. Re: A Place for Igorot Culture

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 05:17