We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air quality in Baguio

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Air quality in Baguio

https://anc.yahoo.com/video/baguio-city-most…

Is it any worse than Manila?

BenCab Museum
Speciality Museums
Good Shepherd Convent
Sacred & Religious Sites
Burnham Park
Parks, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Philippine Military Academy
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
2,080 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air quality in Baguio

I visited Baguio a bit more than a year ago and did not suffer any noticeable respiratory effects.

We would really need an independent laboratory to conduct further tests, remembering that air pollution may vary with the time of year as some climatic conditions make it worse.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 10:09
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air quality in Baguio

It was on the news this morning that according to WHO, Baguio has worse air pollution in the country and so it is true.

solarnews.ph/news/….

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air quality in Baguio

did you even read the article FSRP01 ?

even the mayor has called for a review on the findings..

even WHO mentioned in 1st link. - " They say the methodology for the study may not have been accurate "

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air quality in Baguio

I did read it. Did you?

DENR regional director Paquito Moreno said they are doubting the study reflects the air quality situation in the entire city, but admitted that pollution especially in the Central Business District has been high especially during rush hours.

Moreno added another factor for the high concentration of pollutants in Baguio’s air is its cold temperature and high altitude which slows down the dispersal of these minute harmful particles in the air.

I ignore what nameless officials say and also the Mayor as he has a vested interest.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 23:31
philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
601 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air quality in Baguio

there is no need for a WHO report. Your nose will tell you that at the Central Business District which is more buildings, cement, and road typical of an urbanized area, coupled with uphill and downhill roads, that the air is polluted than when you are at John Hay, the area of the Mansion and Good Shepherd, and over at BenCab Museum. These places, even the ordinary nose can notice the difference.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air quality in Baguio

I was in Baguio last in 2011. Was shocked by the piles of garbage all over. Is it still that way?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air quality in Baguio

I have stayed in Baguio twice in the last 2 weeks while exploring the area. The one thing that did surprise me was the amount of traffic. I am not sure exactly how they measure "air quality" and what pollutants they measure for, but it does surprise me that Manila would not be worse.

@ # 5. I didnt find Baguio particularly dirtier than other large towns and cities in the Philippines, certain businesses and establishments obviously do better than others for trash removal, and Burnham Park was relatively clean to me

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,628 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air quality in Baguio

If that pollution measuring device is located along Session Road then it could be true.

9. Re: Air quality in Baguio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Baguio