We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I be safe ?

auckland
Level Contributor
52 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Will I be safe ?

I have been to most counties in Asia but never the Philippines. I was planning to spend a few weeks there, but have started to read all the safety warnings about being conned, robbed, blackmailed etc.

As a single male, I travel by myself and am fairly street savvy and low profile i.e no flashy clothes/jewellery or drunk in public. I never argue with anyone.

But now I am seriously thinking I had better just back out of the Philippines and go somewhere else. Is it really that scary and dangerous a place ? I am very familiar with Thailand. Is the Philippines a lot more dangerous than there ?

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I be safe ?

Why you didn't read the Top Questions on Philippines? Or use the search facility?

A discussion on the safety of Manila. ... (more)

Safety for a solo female traveller.

Safety advice for a solo female travelling alone in the Philippines. ... (more)

Safety in the Philippines.

A lively discussion on safety in the Philippines. ... (more)

Philippines: A safe country to travel

Philippines is a safe country ... (more)

Is the Philippines safe for a single solo woman traveller?

Is the Philippines safe for a single solo woman traveller? ... (more)

These can all be found on the Philippine Forum Front Page.

tripadvisor.com.ph/ShowForum-g294245-i3256-P…

This is asked every week and the answer is always the same.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,367 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I be safe ?

What makes you think the Philippines is more dangerous than other Asian countries? Where have you got your information from? Hearsay??

I have also travelled all over Asia. I think you will find Thailand has many many more scams...Tuk Tuk Scam, Ping Pong Show Scam, Gem Scam and I can go on.

You are misinformed and confusing the small parts of Mindanao that are not safe with the whole country.

I have been travelling here for over 30 years and providing you use common sense you will be safe. Perhaps a lot safer than Auckland.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,367 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I be safe ?

@FSRP01 we posted at the same time :)

To the OP ... so is the Philippines the only country that you can get conned, robbed etc. Please read the world news! Doesnt happen in Auckland does it...of course not.

Read the many blogs in the FAQs to the right hand side main page where bloggers have had the best experience ever and spent many months in the country. They are the friendliest people, best beaches in Asia etc.

Please provide your sources or statistics which I guess you cant?

Tommo

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I be safe ?

I wont go to New Zealand in case I get savaged by a sheep

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I be safe ?

I see you posted this in the Metro Manila forum. Even if you thought Manila was unsafe, why would you not visit the rest of the Philippines?

Visit places like Bohol and Boracay and you will see many young women of European descent who obviously aren't scared like you.

uk
Level Contributor
344 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I be safe ?

Like you I will be travelling solo (part of trip) to Philippines next month and had the same concerns. Having travelled around Asia I find Thailand the safest walking around, yes there are scams e.g. ping pong but only if you go looking for them whereas in Phil you hear about them coming to you e.g. pickpockers/theft etc.

However I am more than confident if you stay in the safer tourist areas e.g. makati, don’t wonder off after hours and stay in reputable hotels you will be fine. Also I am leaving my jewellery and DSLR at home, in Thailand/India/Nepal last yr it never came off my neck!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,367 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I be safe ?

@ Kesh N you will find the Philippines as safe as walking around Thailand :)

Enjoy!! Let us know how it all went.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,923 posts
2,000 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will I be safe ?

Auckland's inner western and some southern suburbs seem rundown to me every time I am on a MAXX train.

That may be an unfair generalisation, but I have been to Philippines many times and have never felt unsafe.

Just behave sensibly, don't walk down an unlit street drunk in Metro Manila at 0345 in the 'small hors' and you should be fine.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will I be safe ?

Could you tell us where in the PH you plan to go?

With your travel history and the type of traveler you are, I don't think you'll have any problem at all. Filipinos have been described as being one of the most hospitable people around the world and most Filipinos are actually nicer to tourists than fellow Filipinos :D You'll be surprised with the amount of information (even personal info) they're willing to share with you if you engage them in conversation. Besides, I don't think you'll be touring the slums or the far south where some of the "terrorists" are anyway.

If at all, like any place, you'll only likely get into trouble if you go looking for one. The only real issue I see is some people tend to try and charge tourists more than the usual rate for some products/services (except establishments like malls or restos of course). This won't be a problem as long as you're aware of the standard prices and tell them about it.

Good luck and we hope your trip to the PH pushes thru.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 16:51
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will I be safe ?

ive seen loads of western tourists, including many females, travelling with confidence, throughout these islands--ive seen them in kalibo, enroute to boracay, in Bohol with young kids in tow, all over the Rice Terraces area and of course, in the touristy areas of Manila..if you've been to Thailand, you will be ok in the Phils..take it from someone who has been robbed at gunpoint, of all places, in Beverly hills, California..