We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auburn vs Syracuse as base

Naples
Level Contributor
295 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Auburn vs Syracuse as base

If the wedding is in Skaneatles, which would be the better place for guests? Auburn is closer & both the Hilton & Holiday Inn look like they could work but some of the (much younger!) guests will probably want to continue to party after the wedding. Are there bars/pubs close to the Hilton or Holiday inn?

Our other option is to set up base in Syracuse but that seems like a long ride to the wedding & then back from the reception -- even if we arrange for some type of vans/bus.

What do u suggest?

6 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,244 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auburn vs Syracuse as base

In Auburn,there is a popular bar very near both hotels on State Street (Curley's). AT Walleys (Genesee St) and Swabys (South St) are also within walking distance (a few blocks) away.

Naples
Level Contributor
295 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auburn vs Syracuse as base

Thanks so much for your quick response. I googled all three suggestions and I think anyone of them would do if there are some who want to continue the party. So nice of you to reply. Again, thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Auburn vs Syracuse as base

Hi , if there's a wedding in skaneatles, you should take the wedding party over to Willard Chapel and take some fotos being surrounded with tiffany glass ,http://www.willardchapel.org/

The Willard Chapel is an extremely rare example of the work of Louis C. Tiffany and Tiffany Glass and Decoration Co. in that it is only complete and unaltered Tiffany chapel known to exist.

Included in the Tiffany interior are 14 opalescent windows, a rose window, a large figure window, nine Mooresque styled chandeliers, memorial tablets of glass mosaic tile and gilt bronze, furnishings of oak inlaid with metal and glass mosaic, a ceiling with gold leaf stencils and mosaic flooring. Built in 1892-1894, the interior of the Chapel was designed and handcrafted entirely by Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company of New York City and is the only complete and

Naples
Level Contributor
295 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auburn vs Syracuse as base

Wow, Martin! Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention ~ I can't wait to pass this info along to the bride! What a spectacular background for some wedding pictures ~ certainly not the usual background. (As an aside, I go to a small -- seating for less than 100 -- church in the summer months in Avalon, NJ. Presiding over the altar is a magnificent Louis Comfort Tiffany stained glass window. How it ended up in this humble little seasonal church I don't know!)

Again, thanks for the info.

new york
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auburn vs Syracuse as base

We did not stay here but friends from out of state did, for two nights. They were pleased with keys being left for late arrival but most displeased at entering a suite through the bathroom. The walls between the bath and sleeping area did not go all the way to the ceiling causing a distinct lack of privacy within. They had expected a two bedroom which it was not. Furnishings and decor were lovely throughout. Breakfast was abundant to a fault. When asked for just toast, this was not available but a frozen blueberry muffin warmed in the microwave was offered and accepted as a substitute. Their day of departure we came to the front door asking for our friends and were told most abruptly that they were eating breakfast and no, we could not join them. "There is no room at the table." A gracious and less rude response instead would have been " may I seat you in the parlor while they finish and would you like a cup of tea or coffee?" We were sent around the outside of the building to the patio and were told they would let our friends know we were there, which did not happen. Our friend saw an earlier message we had left on their cell phone and called back, to which we said, "we are on the patio" and they came out to chat. We will not recommend this b&b to anyone.

Edited: 21 July 2015, 22:18
Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auburn vs Syracuse as base

I think that you must have posted on the wrong thread. Perhaps you'll want to post a review for the particular B&B that you are referring to instead of posting on the forums.

Reply to: Auburn vs Syracuse as base
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Auburn