We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Manila Again

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
788 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Manila Again

I have always been confined to the "Manila" forum and only this afternoon realised that there is also a "Makati" forum which has a wealth of information about the Makati area.

In May we will be visiting Manila again, this time taking our 3 young children with us.

Questions:

1) We will be staying 4 nights this time, and we are thinking of staying two nights in Makati area and the next two nights in Ortigas Centre area. For our Makati stay, we think we have narrowed down our choice to the two bedroom suite in Somerset Millenium or Somerset Olympia. We want our stay to be close to the Ayala Centre area and the MRT station. Between the two we tend to lean towards the Olympia at this moment because it costs slightly less and is located next to the Peninsula. Would any one be able to confirm our choice ?

2) The next two nights we intend to stay at the Plaza Astoria in Ortigas Centre. The attraction to us is its free shuttle service to places like Megamall and Greenhills. But there has also been some not so complimentary reviews about the Astoria. Can anyone having previous stay experience at Astoria to comment ? The other reason for Astoria is such that we can depart from the Philtranco airport bus depot in front of the Megamall on our dfay of leaving.

3) What is the best way to get to the Mall of Asia from Ortigas ? Does the MRT take us right there or a station close by to the Mall of Asia ?

Thanks in advance to any advise or comment.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Manila Again

Hi there! Great to hear that you're returning to Manila soon.

1) You are correct, Somerset Olympia is closer to the MRT Station than Somerset Millennium. In terms of each hotel's proximity to the Ayala Center, I would say the former is closer to the Glorietta Malls, while the latter is closer to the Greenbelt Malls. Other hotels that are close to the MRT are Intercontinental Manila, Dusit Hotel Nikko and the Oakwood Premier.

2) I have only stayed at the Astoria once when it was on its dry run years ago, so an opinion from someone who has stayed recently would be more helpful.

3) The Mall of Asia is closer to Makati than it is to Ortigas, so you might want to visit it while you are staying in the Makati area. The closest MRT station to the Mall of Asia is the Pasay station (the MRT's southernmost stop) but this area is quite chaotic so I'm not sure you would like to travel this way, especially with your young kids. Should you choose to do so, I believe there are shuttle buses/jeepneys from the MRT Pasay Station that will take you straight to the Mall of Asia.

2. Re: Visiting Manila Again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 04:18