We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peninsula or Makati Shangri La

San Francisco
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Peninsula or Makati Shangri La

Is the Peninsula Hotel and Shangri la located in the same vicinity? Which of the two hotels do you recommend in means of location and ammentities. We would definitely be using their pool, spa, and gym facilities. We would also like a location close to good shopping areas.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peninsula or Makati Shangri La

Both hotels are in the same area in Makati. I stayed at the Shang recently and got a nice view of the Peninsula’s fountain area, and can even see the activity in their pool area.

However, The Manila Peninsula or the Pen is my favorite hotel. Quiet, cozy, comfy, and reliable. Good PR training shows with consistently warm and efficient service observed with the staff. If you can get good rates for this, go for it. It is across Shangrila and the Ayala Commercial Center, but good enough to be "across" as the hotel doesnt get the traffic and spillover (those who just go in to loiter in the lobby or use the toilets) from the malls, therefore maintaining peace and security. The Makati Shangrila is directly across the Pen both along Ayala Avenue and Makati avenue, which is a stone’s throw away from nearby department stores and malls. (Spent easter weekend at the shang 'cause the pen was booked!). Its newer than the Pen and other Makati hotels but it gets really busy as it is popular among Filipino and Chinese residents, and there’s always traffic infront of the hotel so if you stay there, always request for a room facing Ayala Avenue and the Peninsula fountain area. The Pen's lobby is a fave, though Shang's also impressive. Service however is inconsistent at the Shang though not that bad. Facilities in a way make up for it.

The Peninsula is definitely one of the best hotels in Makati. As for being the best, am sure that's highly debatable among the patrons. The Peninsula will always be my first choice though. The Peninsula's atmosphere is more peaceful and quiet. And oh they have lots of nice restos. Nielsen's serve very good breakfast (and lunch and dinner) buffets. And don't leave the hotel without trying Spices, their Asian restaurant. I'm sure you'll have quiet time at the bar (the legit smoking place in the hotel), and relaxing afternoons at the lobby. Also depends on which room category you've booked, but all are basically good. The bathrooms of the superior and de luxe rooms are already impressive!

Most of the Makati Shangrila has been recently refurbished, and that's their edge against the Pen. Their 24hour health club is by far the best hotel health club in the country (the Pen's gym is very basic, and way, way below Shang's impressive fitness center). But the only thing that discourages me from staying at the Shang is the traffic of people in the lobby, and lots of noisy filipino and chinese guests with hordes of kids that they seem to let loose and run around the place (I don't mean to be rude, but its a fact there), and specially on weekends at the pool area. Maybe also because the Pen doesnt have a Chinese resto, plus it is across the street, meaning not that accessible to outsiders. Given that, the Pen is actually safer and again, a lot more quiet and exclusive.

The Shang may be closer to the mall and department stores, but based on your "criteria" I think the Shang would be a perfect choice for you. I wouldn't recommend other hotels in the area unless budget would be a consideration and you would go for the lower priced hotels. But of their price category and the area, nothing would beat the Shang and the Pen.