We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around makati

j n
HKG
Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around makati

Need some quick info about getting around makati or thereabouts. I'm in my initial phase or research so I don't really know much but I am planning on staying somewhere in Makati and may take a day trip to Quaipo to see the church.

1. Is it easy to get around, what are some nice things to see around the area. I'm looking mostly for things with some historical significance, not gogo bars and bowling alleys.

2. From Makati to Quaipo - is it easy, what mode of transport is best between jeeps, bus and LRT.

3. Airport to Makati and back - what is the best way? Are there buses or train services? I would like to avoid being scammed by taxi drivers looking to rip off tourists.

I don't have a lot of time to do my own research so any info would be appreciated.

EDIT: Also, if you could recommend a boarding house or guest house around 1kphp per night.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 07:32
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around makati

1. Historical - Intramurous and Corregidor Island. Ayala Museum in Makati.

2. Makati to Quaipo. Easiest way is by taxi. Else will be walk to Ayala MRT then take the train to TAFT Station. Walk over to EDSA Station and then a train to Carriedo Station. Then walk to Quaipo Church.

3. Taxi is the best. If you are adventurous, then take a shuttle bus, P20 to TAFT. Then a train from TAFT to Ayala Station. If you are not confident, DO NOT TRY IT!

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around makati

Hi JN,

Makati is relatively easy to get around, esp if you're staying in the Ayala Center area. As stated by Mousehunt, the Ayala Museum is quite interesting to visit www.ayalamuseum.org/.

There's also the Filipinas Heritage Library http://www.filipinaslibrary.org.ph/ (both are along Makati Avenue).

There's the Salcedo Market on Saturdays mrdelicious.ph/8-years-and-going-strong-at-t…

and the country's first food truck market on Fridays, Cucina Andare https://www.facebook.com/CucinaAndare

You can take a walking tour of Intramuros in Manila with Carlos Celdran http://celdrantours.blogspot.com/

There is no train service to and from the airport, but you can take a yellow cab located outside the airport. The flag down rate is P70.00 pesos and you're charged for every KM thereafter. Don't get a standard white cab as they're not accredited by the airport and could rip you off.

For budget accommodations, look for inns located in the Pasay Road (Arnaiz Ave.) area, although you can get cheaper accommodations further away from Ayala.

There's a Tune Hotel in Makati Ave:

www.tunehotels.com/our-hotels/makati-manila

And MNL Boutique Hostel which will open on Jan 15:

http://www.mnlboutiquehostel.com

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around makati

Makati has little in Historical significance since it was originally an airfield in the 1930s called Neilson Field and the original control tower can be found close to the junction of Ayala and Makati Ave and is now Filipiana Centre.

For history, go to Intramuros and visit the old Finance Building which is now a museum on Finance Ave nearby.

There is a blue PVP bus going from Ayala and Gil Puyat (Buendia) to Quiapo which is the easiest way to travel.

To the airport, use a taxi. Make sure they use a meter and you won't have problems. Taxi drivers have improved enormously over the last couple of years.

j n
HKG
Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around makati

Thanks again mouseunht. I'm trying to familiarize myself with the general area, I've looked at the LRT lines and such but like with KL, it's a bit confusing, if there's a site or anything that would help me familiarize with the transit lines so I can get a general idea of the stations and stops and such.

Taxi's - do cabs from the airport use meters or are the drivers still making up their own prices as they go along? I know there are lots of dodgy operators out there, I've had some negative experiences with taxi's in the city before but that was almost 10 years ago and things may have improved by now.

Also, any other sties or sources of info on buses and routes, I may be going this monday if my schedule permits. I'm sure I could ask around when I get there but it would be better if I had an idea of the routes and stuff so it's less confusing when I get there.

EDIT: Thanks to the other replies as well, I starting writing this after mousehunt's initial reply so you may have already addressed some of my questions. cheers.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 08:39
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,203 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around makati

Vanilabean, can you clear up something for me. What is the Makati market on Sundays, which is also on Salcedo (corner of Gamboa) called. I have not been there in weeks, but its a regular thing.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around makati

Leftovertoo the market on Sundays is the Legaspi Market -- named because it's in Legaspi Village, (but on Salcedo Street). Confusing, right? Haha!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,203 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around makati

thanks vanilla bean..

j n
HKG
Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around makati

Guys, one more thing, are credit cards safe to use in smaller, independent hotels or establishments around the city or is it as bad as KL in that regard?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around makati

'suggest that you use cash as much as possible. :)

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around makati

Hi,

Traveling by the overhead trains (LRT / MR) in Manila is easy - sometimes easier than te one in KL :)

Manila has 3 separate lines - LRT1, LRT2 and MRT3. They have some common stations.

I usuall use this map to decide on my stations / Manila train travel - www.urbanrail.net/as/mani/manila-map.gif

I then check up google maps or Wikipmapia to figure out the closest station.

This blog may be of some help - whystopover.com/2011/…

This website tells you the stations close to popular attractions - metromaniladirections.com/2010/04/light-rail…

I rarely use Jeepneys in Manila - I instead go for pedicabs / trikes (you can find them at all MRT stations) and taxis. When I DO use jeeps, I just ask locals - they are almost always helpful, since most are also going to the same place as me.... they nearly "put" me into the jeep!

I use this site for my train travel in Manila.

(Note - Manila has 3 overhead railway lines -

Get answers to your questions about Makati