We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP exchange rates?

morpeth...
Level Contributor
124 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
GBP exchange rates?

Hi Guys,

Coming over in March and wonder what the british pound exchange rate is out there? Over here the best I can get is £1 = 59 pesos.

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,846 posts
1,983 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP exchange rates?

TA member FSRP01 is our resident foreign exchange expert (and also ex the UK): he always informs me that the best exchange rates are at Edzen and Sheena moneychangers that are open daily from 0800 until 0200 the following morning. They are in A. Mabini Street, Ermita (Manila Bay area, not far from the very good Robinsons Place shopping centre that is in Pedro Gil Street, Ermita).

www.xe.com suggests that the exchange rate for GBP1 is P64.26. This will vary 'on the ground.'

Edited: 27 January 2013, 12:45
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,846 posts
1,983 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP exchange rates?

I suggest exchanging your GBP in Manila rather than in the UK. For most if not all curencies, you will get a far better rate this way.

Travelex and similar moneychangers in developed countries have high overheads and hence high commissions - or poor rates. Their rents, wages and so on have to somehow be paid.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP exchange rates?

Some money changers i.e. Sanry's, Czarina's base their rate on the current rate of Banco De Oro (BDO). You can just google "bdo exchange rate gbp" and the prevailing exchange rate will appear. Rates will of course vary slightly but this should give you an idea.

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP exchange rates?

I don't know of any Makati Money Changers who are reliable but l have no doubt someone here will tell you.

Banks rarely give a good rate.

You have time to set up an account with i-remit who give an excellent rate.and convenient methods of access.

http://www.myiremit.com/

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP exchange rates?

I find Sanry's to be quite reliable and have good rates compared to other money changers at least in the area. They have 2 branches in Greenbelt 1 and another just across at the Residences at Greenbelt.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GBP exchange rates?

One thing I like about Sanry is that they always gave me P500 notes instead of P1000 notes.

This makes breaking up the notes easier.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,326 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GBP exchange rates?

You still have time before March and things will or nay change before then Sanrys is fine, but Czarina's tends to give a better rate.

morpeth...
Level Contributor
124 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GBP exchange rates?

Hi,

Thanks for the positive advice and I will get my money changed in Manila. Will just get some small money changed for taxis etc on arrival.

Thanks again

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GBP exchange rates?

Where will you be staying? Consider using ATMs instead of carrying a lot of cash on your person.

10. Re: GBP exchange rates?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 11:35