We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

My husband and I are going to Manila with two other friends, and we found a great hotel in Ortigas. We're just wondering if the area is a good spot for tourists. We are mainly looking for bars with live music, great restaurants and of course, shopping within walking distances. Any opinions/suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

22 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,101 posts
1,961 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

Ortigas is a very vibrant area and has all you are looking for but my personal preference is the very tourist friendly Makati area.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,101 posts
1,961 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

What I forgot to mention is that Asia Travel has mystery 5 star and 4 star special hotels in the Ortigas area which are great value and worth looking at.

The hotels previously used were Crown Galleria and the Hotel Richmonde.

Tommo

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

Thank you so much the response! We will look into Makati. What about Fort Bonifacio? If you were to choose between Makati/Fort Bonifacio, in terms of shopping/bars/restaurants, which area would it be?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,101 posts
1,961 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

Makati would still be my choice but both great areas.

If you stay at a hotel located near Greenbelt/Glorietta Shopping Centre you will be close to many bars restos and shopping. Hotel choices are more varied also in Makati. Im a fan of the New World Hotel which is across the road from Greenbelt Shopping Centre.

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

Makati, Ortigas and Fort Bonifacio all have something for tourists in terms of accommodation, dining and nightlife. Among the 3, i would prefer Fort Bonifacio because the traffic is much lesser than Makati and Ortigas.

Asia
Level Contributor
663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

I don't think that Ortigas is interesting for tourists at all. To me there is nothing that can't be better had at the Fort or in Makati.

And if someone wants to see the EDSA shrine or visit Megamall or the Shangri-La mall those can easily be reached via MRT or by taxi.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

If you know where to go then Ortigas is a destination in itself. If you stay for example at Shangri-la EDSA, Linden Suites or Crowne Plaza in Ortigas then shopping centers like Megamall, The Podium, Robinsons Galleria, St. Francis Square and Shangri-la Mall are all within walking distance. If you haven't found a place to eat in those malls then Il Mercanti is a food bazaar open on Thur-Sat. from 7pm to 4am then after eating, a few meters away, Metrowalk has many restaurants/bars with live music.

…blogspot.com/2012/01/food-bazaars-1-il-merc… and

manilagateway.com/entertainment/ortigas-metr…

Edited: 27 March 2013, 07:01
Asia
Level Contributor
663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

Hi Kegler, you are right. If one stays there those are some of the places to go to. But then, is there any place in Manila that doesn't have malls and food or live bands? :)

I just think that Makati and the Fort are way more tourist friendly and it is even possible to enjoy a stroll on High Street in the Fort.

Ortigas I find is more for a business traveler who has to stay there.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

Selamat siang! Just to answer the question "Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?" then I would say yes, but I would say that Fort Bonifacio is better just like in my post #5.

Asia
Level Contributor
663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?

Aku setuju. Sudah sore di sini, mas. Haha

Reply to: Is Ortigas a good spot for tourists?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted