We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best days to go for the KADAYAWAN

Which Davao City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
best days to go for the KADAYAWAN

I'd like to know specifically which day in August will the highlight of the Kadayawan festival be held? I'm after the colorful parades and culmination of activities. Am trying to look for a website on this but all I got was the wowphilippines site which states that the highlight would be the 3rd weekend of the month. Would appreciate any confirmation on this. Thanks!

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
533 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best days to go for the KADAYAWAN

Hi Impulsetraveller (also known as...)

Of course, im not from Davao and I dont have information on the Kadayawan (though Im heading off with some friends to Bacolod for Maskarra this OCtober..im a masskara novice)

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. might be better to ask the hotels like Marco Polo or Waterfront/PEarl Farm about the dates hopefully they might have an idea...

Sounds like fun..

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
533 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best days to go for the KADAYAWAN

hi impulsetraveller,

according to my officemate its august 7 daw...

just verify...

enjoy enjoy!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best days to go for the KADAYAWAN

hey Juanee! (I guess most of the regulars here at TA have been travelling continously and extending the summer months - like me, I plead GUILTY!!!).

My research on this Kadayawan thing has been quite frustrating as most Davao sites do not have specific or up to date info on this. My durian craving has been switched to high gear after recent trips to hong kong and sing have been oh so gastronomically (durian) fulfilling! Which is why I wondered why no one seems to be having or are familiar of durian festivals/specialties in davao. Its about two more months before the supposedly Kadayawan thing and I hope to use my prize tickets (i won in the Cebu Pacific photo thingy hehehe) for Davao instead of the usual Visayas destinations since it has more value haha.

If I don't get info on this Davao festival soon, well, see you in Bacolod for my Pendy's and Calea fix!

I do hope someone would have info or leads on this soon...

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best days to go for the KADAYAWAN

August 7?!! All the info I've gathered so far have been consistently stating "towards the third week of August". Uh-oh...

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
533 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best days to go for the KADAYAWAN

hey IT...

yun nga (thats why) conflicting information it might be better to ask the hotels when the festival is exactly di ba.. marco polo siguro the best...

enjoy!

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
708 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best days to go for the KADAYAWAN

the official dates for the kadayawan festivities is on aug 8-19. but u might have to check regularly for updates. just today, it was in the news that several of the traditional activities will be scrapped out due to some controversies from last year. this year's kadayawan won't see the hiyas ng kadayawan (although i don't think u would be interested to watch this anyway). but really surprising is the news that they are scrapping out the indak-indak sa kadalanan (the street dancing which happens on a saturday, or the 18th) because the city feels it is already too commercialized and it already finds it too expensive to fund the increasing prizes. they are also limiting the street parties which they feel take out the real spirit of the kadayawan festival. these street parties are normally parties held on the streets (of course) by various bars around the city.

i don't know what activities will be left for the festivities. probably a lot of durian eating all around especially when they estimate the durian to be coming in early this year. unlike last year, when durian season started a bit late in september. no kadayawan festival is complete without the durian!

i suggest you keep yourself posted....so you will know what exactly to expect when you come here.

i hope this helps.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best days to go for the KADAYAWAN

Thanks tambalyn! I've inquired also with Marco Polo and got a quick reply from them re the parades on the 18th and the 19th. Sad to hear that they're scrapping the 18th parade. Do keep us posted if you have new info on this please. Thanks!

8. Re: best days to go for the KADAYAWAN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 08:20