We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cebu info

London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
cebu info

its my first trip to Cebu...next DECEMBER....

Need some useful tips...

where should stay ...which is best area for shopping , nightlife ..,

beaches......

Mentioned in this post
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
memphis tn
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cebu info

Depending on the days in December that you plan to stay, might affect where you stay. I have never been in December but have always heard that December is high travel season for the Philippines. Especally around Xmas. Cebu also has a giant city festival in early January. I have heard that it is very hard to get hotel rooms, etc, due to this high travel season. I know the cost for the entire trip goes up also, due to higher price tickets, etc.

Depending on the money you want to pay, and the area you want to stay in, will of course decide which hotel you pick. I have spent time at the Holiday Plaza and Diplomat Hotel, both in the Mango area. I went in low travel seasons so I got fair rates. (read my review on the Diplomat Hotel.) You might want to check into both of them, See if they have rooms and their rates. I personally liked the Mango area.

Good luck with your trip and let us know how you liked Cebu.

Mentioned in this post
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,932 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cebu info

If you take Mempho's advice, you will be smack in the middle of a huge amount of nightlife. Adult and non adult.

Best shopping will depend on what you want.

For mall shopping, it is SM mall and Ayala mall. SM Mall is currently about the 14th biggest mall in the world. Ayal Mall is huge too. Dining on the terraces at Ayala Mall is very pleasant. They both have cinemas, childrens entertainment, other entertainment, restaurants, food courts, supermarkets and usual mall shopping.

For cheap clothes and trinkets, it is the historic Carbon Markets

I hope this helps!

Regards: Jim.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,932 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cebu info

In the province of Cebu, best beaches are on Malapascua Island and Moalboal.

There are no beaches in Cebu City as the whole of the Cebu City coastline is taken up with shipping and industry.

You can pay to use the beach facilities at a resort on Mactan Island.

Personally, If I want beach, i will go to Bohol.

December is peak travel time in the Philippines. Especially at Christmas as every Filipino will be trying to get home..

If you will be in a hotel on Christmas day, make sure they are serving meals as most every restaurant will be closed and even if they are open , there will be no taxi to get you there.

If you will still be in Cebu City in January, expect your hotel rates to rise. Millions of Filipinos will converge on Cebu City for Sinulog. The big parade is on the third Sunday in January and there are many activities in the week before. Read more about Sinulog here

http://www.sinulog.ph/

Regards: Jim

Mentioned in this post
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Malapascua Island
Malapascua Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
Moalboal
Moalboal
Cebu Island, Philippines
Cebu City
Cebu City
Cebu Island, Philippines
Mactan Island
Mactan Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
Bohol Province, Philippines
Wisconsin, US
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: cebu info

Hello. I've been reading a lot of your advice. Thank you. I will be flying into cebu this Friday and staying for 8 days. I will be staying at the Marriott hotel. I will certainly eat at the Terraces in the mall that you mention.

It sounds like Bohol is nice. Is it far? Ferry boat ride to get there? Do you know how much it costs?

I sure would appreciate any other advice you have. I have never traveled outside of the US before. I'm a little nervous. Someone said that I should have had a shot to prevent Malaria because of a lot of maskitoos there. Is that true?

Are there tour buses to take me to things to see around Cebu? Can you recommend any? Or things to see?

Thank you.

-Eric-from Wisconsin, US

Mentioned in this post
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,932 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cebu info

I am not aware of any shot for Malaria. There is medicine you can take while travelling. I stopped bothering with malaria tablets in 1996. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you are not bitten by mosquitos in the first place. That is, stay in accommodation which is mosquito proof. Use an insect repellent when outside.

For Bohol info, read my trip report here.

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/blog/?p=26

It has links to the fast ferry companies. You can check out the latest promo deals for yourself. It is about 90 minutes on a fast ferry from Cebu City to Tagbilaran Bohol.

Here is my list of things to do in Cebu City

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/blog/?p=16

It has a link to my Cebu Tour itinery which in turn has details of my former driver, Danny Noy who can take care of all your travel and tour needs in Cebu.

Regards: Jim

Mentioned in this post
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
Cebu City
Cebu City
Cebu Island, Philippines
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Wisconsin, US
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: cebu info

Thank you

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: cebu info

If you are wondering what else to do while you are in Cebu, this link might help you www.cebutourguide.com/tour_activities.htm , it will give you ideas on what other activities that can be combine to make your vacation more fun and memorable.

If you are staying in Marriott, don't worry about the mosquitos, they have anti-mosquito plugged-in the whole building. if you are outside, you may want to put on anti-mosquito lotion. But mosquitos here is not much this time since it is summer. Mostly they come out during rainy season.

About tour buses, most tour operators here in Cebu arrange a private tours, which means, I doubt if you can join and mix tours with other tourist. If you mean public buses, they do a regular route that only pick up and drop passengers that is going to a long distance destination outside cebu city.

Mentioned in this post
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
memphis tn
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cebu info

Eric

Have a great trip...might suggest that U take a lot of candy ( I get a big bag of miniture candy bars at Sam's) and pass it around the hotel. The front desk will be putty in your hands and room service will improve a lot... the cost is about 10 dollars and the goodwill will be invalualbe... I am going back this July and cannot wait

tim from Memphis

9. Re: cebu info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 07:18