We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour guide wanted of a different kind

Which Cebu City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Western Cape, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tour guide wanted of a different kind

Hi, I intend relocating to the philippines, but maybe I should visit for a week or two, as I have never been there, (lived in Thailand for 3 years) & was wondering if anyone living there would know how I can find a 'tour buddy' of a different kind, that will show me around Cebu that knows about Cheap houses for longterm rent, buying cars, tv etc & give me inside knowledge of life in cebu. Pref an ex-pat.( I also speak german ps.not too interested in pretty ladies, i am female). Of course I will pay for transport, lunches dinner etc. will be on a tight schedule and need to know lots...

Last Q? can I buy a tuk tuk or dont they exist in the Philippines?

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour guide wanted of a different kind

Why would you want to relocate to a place you have never visited?

And why Cebu?

I suggest you look at the Bureau of Immigration website. http://www.immigration.gov.ph/

You may have to be an eternal tourist with no rights of settlement.

There are many places worth considering depending on what you are looking for but 2 weeks is too short to find out.

I don't know how you would find a tour buddy without paying them for their time and expertise.

We do not have tuk tuks here.

Bohol Island...
Level Contributor
181 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour guide wanted of a different kind

First, I think 2 weeks is so short for you to find out all the things you need to do or all the things that you mentioned you want to do. looking for a place to rent alone can be quite tricky and you would need more time to do this as everything is not as organised so you really have to go around places and then decide what's best for you, plus Cebu is a big place too (so you like to find out prices for a possible place to rent within the city or around Cebu province?).

then finding your "different kind tour guide" would be hard coz you are looking for a person who has nothing else to do and would be willing to take you around for as long as it takes to do all these stuff for the whole duration of your stay here for free. the possible thing is to ask someone here to meet up (like the expat who you want to ask things about) then get on from there, so then you won't really need a guide to physically to go with you anywhere. for sure you would need to hire a reliable driver who won't charge too much and knows his way around the whole place and then he can serve as your driver/guide.

finding a place for rent is tricky in the sense that some ads would be posted on electric posts and not on the newspapers:-) places that has ads with agents on the newspapers can also be tricky in the sense that most places would be locked up with 1 year contract which is not really good if you find out you don't like to live there for a year - so these are some of the important things that will take time and you need to consider.

I think you should also organize your activities when you will be here. for example, first 2 days, look for a house, then look at cars/prices, then go to malls for appliances, etc...

anyway, are you planning to get a permanent resident visa or a retirement visa? for permanent residency application you are required to stay here for at least 6 months before you can qualify for this, open a Philippine account with a specified amount and then get an ACR. if you are retiring, maybe it will be easier. just look up the immigration site as FSRPO1 has suggested so that you can look up your best option.

Bohol Island...
Level Contributor
181 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour guide wanted of a different kind

sorry, for permanent resident you will get an I-card not an ACR :-) from Immigration office.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,999 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour guide wanted of a different kind

ACR is still correct. It is an ACRI-card.

It has just become or is about to become mandatory for tourists staying longer than 59 days. Which is perfectly fine by me. Many long term residents have complained in the past that they can't access an ACR because they are tourists. Now they can.

As a tourist, you can stay up to 16 months before you have to leave the Philippines. So long as you pay for your extensions every 2 months. You can then go on a shopping trip to Hong Kong then come back and start your 16 months all over again.

When i was a partner in a tourism business in Cebu City, one of the ways the business used to help foreigners find rental accommodation was to drive around in a car looking for the for rent signs on the gates and poles. At the same time, we would check out the accommodation in the newspaper adds.

The Philippines is not for everyone. I agree with the others. You can't make a decision about relocating after only a couple of weeks.

I do know a Filipina who will do what you ask but for a fee. Hopwever the fee should be very affordable to a foreigner.

If you attend some of the regular expat gatherings in Cebu City, you may find some one willing to help so long as you buy the food and drinks and pay all the other expenses.

Send me a PM if you would like more information.

Regards: Jim

Western Cape, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour guide wanted of a different kind

Hey Folks, thanx very much for your replies concerning my 'Tour guide wanted of a different kind...' Thanx for your all your inputs... well I live in the crime ridden, violent South Africa & want to leave africa for good. Checking my options, Aus/Kiwiland, been there doesnt appeal.. US/Israel too expensive, South Americas/Arabic countries, as a woman alone... not the best idea..Europe... I am swiss & will only return after I am 65 . Sorry didnt state my intentions properly... I want to come for 2 weeks quick 'check-see and then if its even a bit ok, get a special retirement visa, which I am already busy putting the criteria in place. I have spoken to various persons that have lived in the philippines & cebu & they have lots of nice things to say. I love island living & dont need super luxury, but rather enjoy good food, fun people, nice beaches & good people around me... I am sure it will be great & if not.. Jee I just leave again... thanx to you all again

Bohol Island...
Level Contributor
181 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour guide wanted of a different kind

well, you are not the only South African I know that like to live in the Philippines :-) the other one I made friends with just last year was a woman backpacker and she really liked it here, she said I am so lucky to be here. haha. so makes me think South Africa must be a lot worse than here then. that friend is back there in South Africa right now after a year world tour, she is still 26 yrs old.

goodluck on your quest for a better place to live. I think we all want to find the perfect place which is so hard to find :-)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,999 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour guide wanted of a different kind

As I stated in my previous reply, you can stay in the Philippines for 1 year and 4 months as a tourist.

So, before you waste your money on a special retirement visa, you could try living in the Philippines for 16 months first.

You don't need any paperwork for that. Once you have been in the Philippines for your 2 weeks, you can arrange to keep staying on in the Philippines by arranging a visa waiver extension. It is for 38 days and costs P3030. After that, extensions are 2 months at a time until you decide to move on or until you reach 16 months.

The Philippines is NOT for those people who

- can't accept they have no rights

- can't accept the Philippines as it is

- can't mix with the local population

- think they are superior to the local population

- think their culture is superior to the Philippines

I have heard people say that Filipinos heads are full of dancing, music and air. Well hooray. All that means is that the Filipinos, whose culture is thousands of years older than western cultures, have worked out that there are more important things in life than working all hours until you turn 65 so you can die soon after retirement from a heart attack.

Regards: Jim

Edited: 06 January 2010, 00:34
Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour guide wanted of a different kind

Good reply Jim. The 59 day extensions will cost you P4800 and after 6 months you will have to pay for the ACR.

Other fees are shown on the Bureau of Immigration website which I am sure you have found by nw.

As far as rights are concerned, you do have them in practice. Even tourists has access to the Ombudsman and Commision on Human Rights if you have problems.

The Filipinos certainly enjoy life far more than most other countries in Europe.

The only problem is that their basically healthy diet is ruined by too much fat, sugar and salt and so high blood pressure and diabetes that lead to strokes and death at a young age are almost epidemics!

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour guide wanted of a different kind

Hello Leisurelogix,

Welcome to the Philippines in advance ( Cebu in Particular ).

The best and safe way to have a tour guide are those who are Licensed by the City Government or those who are accredited by the Department of Tourism. You can download from the website " tourism.gov.ph/Downloadable%20Files/TOUR_GUI… " the list of tourism accredited tour guides. It has the contact information also. But then again, like the other post mention here, their services are not free, it might cost you enough for a professional guide's fee. Please look REGION 7 for Cebu Tour Guide's List.

Also, A visit to Philippine Tourism Official Website " http://www.tourism.gov.ph/ " would also give you initial information about our place.

Edited: 08 January 2010, 16:07
10. Re: Tour guide wanted of a different kind

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2010, 06:16