We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in cebu

singapore
Level Contributor
464 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A week in cebu

Hi,

It's my first time visiting phillipines in september and we have decided on a week in cebu. We are thinking of visitiing cebu city for some history, bohol and maybe do some island hopping. We are also looking for beach time.

Can someone pls suggest where it is best for us to stay ? Or is there any particular island we should go to ? We dont mind moving around.

Thanks very much !

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in cebu

ky

We always like to know your nightly budget before recommending particular hotels or other accommodation.

Look at 'Cebu hotels' on TA; there are three classifications.

Singapore-based www.asiatravel.com has some keenly priced hotels on Mactan Island and in Cebu City.

You could choose to travel by bus or taxi to Moalboal (85km southwest of Cebu City, takes about three hours each way): buses leave from the South Bus Terminal and cost about P140 one way. A taxi may be P2500 or so. You could then stay at White Beach which is longer than Mactan's beaches.

On Mactan, don't miss 'The Jungle' Restaurant and Bar: it is on the main road between the airport and a string of resorts such as Maribago Bluewater. 'The Jungle' has skilful cultural dance shows at 1830, 2030 and 2200 nightly: best to book and they can then pick you up from your resort if staying on Mactan Island. It is reasonably priced: you can have a meal while you watch the show.

Travel agents such as KR Travel and Tours offer island-hopping. This will appear to be more expensive than just going to a pier and negotiating with touts but unfortunately the touts later on in the tour may suddenly 'announce' that you have to pay more money, so the booked tour may be a safer option.

If visiting Cebu City, don't foget to look at Yap Sandiego ancestral house, the Cebu (Catholic) Metropolitan Cathedral, Magellan's Cross and the wonderful The Terraces dining area attached to the Ayala Center shopping centre. You will be spoilt for choice at The Terraces as far as dining options go. Make a day of it visiting Cebu City: see 'Cebu City attractions' on TA.

One handy tip: buy a pair of reef shoes so that you can walk into the sea if there are stones or large pebbles anywhere: most handy.

Mentioned in this post
Mactan Island
Mactan Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
Moalboal
Moalboal
Cebu Island, Philippines
Magellan's Cross
Magellan's Cross
1,494 Reviews
Cebu Island, Philippines
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in cebu

You could also do a day tour to Bohol, or catch a fast ferry (there are three companies competing for your custom) from Cebu's Port to Tagbilaran City, Bohol and then stay overnight at Alona Beach, Panglao Island and on the first day, do the Bohol land tour in a 4WD vehicle ('SUV' to Americans) visiting Chocolate Hills, the proper Tarsier Sanctuary near Corella town, Baclayan Church of the Immaculate Conception and Loboc River cruise plus the good butterfly sanctuary.

On the second day pre-book an 0500 or 0530 chartered bangka (small boat) and visit Balicasag Island for dolphin watching until 0730 and then snorkelling, followed by a fish lunch cooked by villagers for P150 or not much more each. Take a bit of extra money for P150 guide fees out to the reef and further money to buy souvenirs.

Look up 'Bohol attractions, 'Panglao Island hotels' and 'Balicasag Island' on TA to see what's on offer. Both tours will cost about P2000 - P2500 for your group plus individual entrance fees, so both are pretty good value.

Mactan Island...
Level Contributor
302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in cebu

Hello,

First let me say congrats on your first trip to the wonderful Islands of The Philippines. I am sure you will enjoy yourself very much.. I will try to add to some of the great advice you got from the other TA expert.... To try to answer your questions without a budget is harder, but we can give you some general advice on where to stay while in Cebu..

In Cebu Island you have two choices Cebu City, and Mactan Island. Both have good quality's, according to what you looking for... Cebu City holds all of the large malls, nightlife, more of your city type atmosphere. They are many great hotels in the City, you can search them here on Trip Advisor. Cebu City offers a lot of convenience, fast paced, busy streets, more people, and many historical sites also....

If looking for more beach life, culture, not as crowded, lighter traffic, then Mactan Island would be your best choice on Cebu Island. Again lot of great choices of hotels and resorts you can choose from... Great smaller beaches on Mactan Island, great cultural and historical places to see also. Slower paced, not as many people, but a great wealth of things to see and do... Mactan is only about 30 min away from Cebu City so you can travel there very easy... So hopes that help in making your choice of which area to stay in.

As for other islands to see while in Cebu, the popular ones are Bohol, in which is great for a day tour, then you have boracay, which is most popular for large beaches.. They are also Palawan, El Nido, and one i am fond of which is not mentioned much is the Cammoties. Really great quite little place to visit and relax....

Island Hopping hands down, Mactan Island is the best for that. So many great islands to see and hope to, snorkeling, swimming, shore lunch , protected fish sanctuary's, bird watching, and many others....

You can see here some info

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g667507-Mactan_Islan…

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g298460-Cebu_City_Ce…

Mentioned in this post
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Mactan Island
Mactan Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
singapore
Level Contributor
464 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in cebu

Hi,

Thanks so much for all the info.

Stumbled upon this Nalusuan island resort & marine sanctuary. Is it worthwhile to stay there ?

We will most likely stay in the city for 1 or 2 nights to take in the cultural sights, then we are hoping to go stay at nice beaches with good snorkelling.

Should we stay in bohol or just make it a day trip ? For the other islands to visit, for this trip, we are not planning to fly, so will have to be the nearby ones..

Lastly, which part of cebu do you recommend we base ourselves ?

Thanks so much !

singapore
Level Contributor
464 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in cebu

Oh btw, we dont dive, we only snorkel. Does that make a difference to where we should head to ? Thanks !

Mactan Island...
Level Contributor
302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in cebu

Hello again,

Staying on Nalusuan Island Resort, you will have to expect that when you arrived there, that's it.. You are there.. Its not a very large island. The only transportation back to the main Island is by pump boat. I am not sure about doctors, hospitals, or any kind of qualified personal on the island. They are no malls, large stores, or any kind of conveniences like that. You are totally at the mercy of the island shops and keepers for your needs... If you would want to go out to the mainland, expect a 30 to 45 minute boat ride. That is the only way back...

My suggestion to you would be stay on Mactan Island is one of the resorts there. All accessible by taxi, even to Cebu City. If you want high class, go with Shangri La, Plantation Bay, or Imperial Palace. If you like medium, go with Maribago Blue Water, White Sands, Tambuli, Costabella. If you want cheap but nice, go with Haruhay or Hadsan Cove...

Then do a island hopping tour, you can see Nalusuan, hiltugulan, and many other of the islands, snorkel at the fish sanctuarys, and have shore lunch... You could even plan a day at nalusuan. I would suggest Hiltugulan, its has a better fish sanctuary.

IMO, Bohol would be nice only for a day trip, but many others say its great place to stay... I would say the beach is bigger on Bohol than Mactan. But again Bohol is also does not have lot of conveniences if they are needed.

If you are not planning to fly and you want to be centrally based. Mactan Island or Cebu City would be your best choice. You will be right on the beach areas, plus it is central located to travel to other places. You can go to

Cebu City - 20 to 30 min. P 250 taxi

Bohol - Fast Ferry Boat from Pier - 2 hours

Nalusuan, Olango, Hiltuguan, Sulpa, and many others - 2 hours boat max.

Not diving is not a problem... You can still snorkel without diving. Different packages.....

Mentioned in this post
Mactan Island
Mactan Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
Mandaluyong...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in cebu

Hi! This is Verne, Operations Manager of The Maxwell Hotel Cebu.

If you want to stay in Cebu City for a night or two, then you might want to book in one of the hotels there. If you want a 5-star hotel then you should book in The Marriott Hotel. It's right across the Ayala Mall, one of the two big ones in the city.

If you are travelling on a budget, then I suggest you book in one of the hotels along N. Escario Street - one of the main streets in the city. Hotels here offer rates that are more budget friendly and there are many of them to choose from (e.g. Cebu Grand Hotel, Parklane, Golden Peak, etc.).

Actually, booking anywhere in the city is fine. The beaches and the mountains are just an hour's ride away from the center of the city. Plus, there's plenty of things to do and visit with in Cebu City as well.

Mentioned in this post
Cebu City Marriott Hotel
Cebu City Marriott Hotel
1,279 Reviews
Cebu Island, Philippines
Cebu Grand Hotel
Cebu Grand Hotel
151 Reviews
Cebu Island, Philippines
Oslo
Level Contributor
102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in cebu

Nalusuan is nice for snorkeling, but there is not really a beach there. There is a sandy bottom where you can wade, but not a Boracay style beach. The island is very tiny and if you want a VERY peaceful night, it could be nice. Be aware that the prices for food and drinks are quite high(about twice Cebu City) and there is nowhere else to go once you're there! Never slept there, but been there on two occasions for snorkeling.

If you're looking for a nice beach and island hopping, I would suggest you do this in Panglao Island instead. A person not intending going do Bohol/Panglao, Nalusuan is good for a day trip - and a night if you're prepared for completely relaxation.

A cheaper option would be to take the ferry near Hilton to Olango Island(50 peso each way), and stay for the day(or night) at Talima Beach resort. You can snorkel there as well.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Panay Island, Philippines
Olango Island
Olango Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,632 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in cebu

If your not a diver, dont waste your time with a MOALBOAL trip as suggested..the beach there no longer exists for all practical purposes...and the area does NOT have much charm beyond diving.......

Mentioned in this post
Moalboal
Moalboal
Cebu Island, Philippines
Manila, Philippines
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A week in cebu

HI,

i am so pleased to have read this thread about a week in Cebu. May I ask how you can advise me to spend 4 days in Cebu? I am bringing along my husband and 2 kids. We are on a budget trip. It's my son's 7th birthday and we decided to just bring the 2 kids anywhere in the Philippines. Fortunately we got a good deal thru zest air. So, we're going to Cebu on August 16. I would just like to know where you guys can recommend us to go.. ..... may be 2 gays for a budget resort and 2 days in Cebu City... Hope to hear from you guys!!!

Thanks.

Juwan

Mentioned in this post