We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy Idea? You decide & let me know

BKK
Level Contributor
560 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Crazy Idea? You decide & let me know

I will be in Hong Kong and am thinking of going to Boracay. Cebu Pacific offers cheap flights to Boracay and Cebu, but i read they often cancel/delay the Boracay flights for lack of passengers.

So I ask you...am I crazy to fly direct from HKG to Cebu on Cebu Pacific and then transfer to fly to Boracay on SeaAir rather than fly from HKG to Manila to Boracay on Cebu Pacific? From what I can tell it is at least a 4 hour and probably longer layover in Manila. Thus, I think it will be quicker and cost a little more to go thru Cebu.

I am on a tight schedule and don't want to waste the day in Manila's airport dealing with airline troubles.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,923 posts
1,999 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy Idea? You decide & let me know

Irrespective of where you are transiting, I would strongly advise a minimun connecting time of four hours if transferring airlines.

You will not be able to check your baggage through to Boracay.

Cebu Pacific's punctuality is quite to very good, but having to go through immigration and customs (particularly in Manila) takes 30 plus minutes if other flights have just arrived.

My personal preference is to use the same airline because if you do not and the first flight is significantly late, you will left high and dry up the proverbial creek without a paddle. However, you are best placed to assess the risks versus the benefits.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy Idea? You decide & let me know

Is it easy for you to get to Shanghai? It looks like Zest Air will be offering direct flights between Shanghai and Kalibo which will get you straight to Boracay. Check them out at www.zestair.com.ph

I would suggest routing via Manila if you choose to connect in the Philippines as there are many more flight options to Boracay from Manila. If they did actually cancel or delay their flights from Cebu, you would be stuck with few alternatives. But I agree with the previous poster that you should leave 4 hours between flights and try to use the same airline.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,300 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy Idea? You decide & let me know

I think Manila is a better transit point if you are going to Boracay. It has at least 20 non-Cebu Pacific flights to either Caticlan or Kalibo. But Cebu Pacific is not a plague to avoid, if you book all the way to Caticlan you will be assured that you will get to Caticlan with incurring additional charges even if there's a delay in your HKG-MNL flight.

4. Re: Crazy Idea? You decide & let me know

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2012, 10:17