We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice free beaches?

S'pore
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Nice free beaches?

Hihi

We'll be in cebu 2nd week of Feb & the hotel we booked is in cebu city. We'd like to enjoy some time in the sun/sand & would appreciate recommendations for a nice free/public beach to spend half a day at in Mactan/Cebu?

My family is not keen on boat rides so island hopping is out & i looked up the entrance fee for shangri la and the prices are way over my budget (family of six).

Appreciate your advice & suggestions.

Thank you!

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice free beaches?

some info here …weebly.com/best-local-beaches-on-mactan-isl… …weebly.com/best-tourist-beaches-on-mactan.h…

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice free beaches?

I would suggest you to stay in Panglao if possible.

There you have Alona and Dumaluan Beach.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice free beaches?

There are no free beaches. There are several that have entrance fees. You may need to pay for a small cottage or some tables, bathrooms may also have a fee. Options are portofino, tambuli, hadsan. You may want to avail of their lunch buffet if available so that you wont have to pay for the cottages/tables or chairs and bathrooms for portofino and tambuli

Mind you, none of these are as nice as the beaches in your sentosa island.

Iloilo City...
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice free beaches?

Hi!

Beaches in the Cebu City/Mactan area are generally not very nice. I'm not sure how true this is, but Boholanos claim that high end Mactan hotels like Shangri-La and Crimson simply hauled white sand from Bohol and dumped it on their shorelines. That's why, if you look at google maps, you would see that the white sand in all these establishments are fenced in by breakwater to keep them from eroding. Looking further at satellite photos, you would see that the rest of Punta Engaño doesn't have white sand. What they have instead is rocky shoreline. Again, the caveat here is that this is just from the Boholano rumor mill.

In Cebu and Mactan, from what I know, the choice is free beach that's not nice, or nice beach that's not free.

Please note also that "nice" here is pretty relative. The beach in Shangri-La may look nice if you're on the shore, but once you get in the water, that white sand disappears after a few meters and gives way to sharp, craggy rock. It's not like in Boracay where the white sand just goes on and on and on.

I agree with mousehunt about considering Panglao instead of Mactan.

Hope this helps!

S'pore
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice free beaches?

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the advice & suggestions.

6. Re: Nice free beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 06:18